post mounted repair stand?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have No experience with that model,but I do have a repair stand that has that clamp head. It works fine for light duty,such as bare frame. It is plastic and bends/twists under a load. After a bit it deformed(the ends curled up) and only clamps a very small surface area now. It is one of those get what ya pay for deals.Just my opinion of course. That being said,it sure is better than nothing.

Have heard some horror stories on plastic clamp heads breaking and dropping newly painted bikes... Not saying that one will do that, but might be worth trying to find a metal one if you can...

Luke.

Have heard some horror stories on plastic clamp heads breaking and dropping newly painted bikes... Not saying that one will do that, but might be worth trying to find a metal one if you can...

Luke.
Luke nailed it,it really is not worth the risk . I am new to this hobby,I have only used it for skinny steel roadbikes with lightweight components. I doubt it would hold a real bike.The part of the clamp that attaches to the pipe/thin wall tubing is a very weak link,and twists enough to make you very nervous.

Park Tools has a nice head that can mount like that. Pricey but will last forever. My stand is over 35 years old and still going strong.

Great idea you have there,practical and cheap . I have one mounted on a wall up high I use for storage,many times(5 minutes ago) I find myself puttering on the bike while it hangs there .It is up real high so it's handy for chain and drivetrain work.

I have the Park version of that, mounted on my work bench. Only drawback is that you cannot get to the other side of the bike without taking it off, turning the bike around and re-mounting it. It's not as much trouble as it sounds. Park makes great stuff that will re-sell in the future if you decide to get out of bike repair.

I have, and still use 2 bungee cords, storage usually. I know people who rely on one....my bikes are too valuable to take that chance!

Back