Post rust removal protection/prevention

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across this Evapo-Rust stuff in the local hardware store and I'm pretty impressed so far. My question is though... Once the rust is gone, how do you guys prevent it from coming back? Evapo-rust seems great at removing the rust, but only claims to prevent it for two weeks. Thoughts?

depends on if its getting painted or not but if you want it raw hit it with metal prep...it kills the rust and also prevents it from coming back...
if its getting painted strip it however you want then hit it with some wash primer

Not the painted parts. But all the little bits. The nuts, bolts, and some chrome bits. Crowns, cups, fork nut thingers. Stuffs like that. What is this metal prep stuff?

ive always used ppgs dx 579
but.....side note it really wouldnt work for bolts or chome since you need raw steel and have to scuff it while using it(to etch it into the steel) and if used improperly itll flash rust things in minutes.
you might try naval jelly

After you use the evaporust, wash it, dry it, and use laquer thinner to clean any residue. Then paint it with clear satin Krylon. I bead blasted some fender braces and painted them with clear satin 15 yrs. ago and they still look good. Gary

Yeah, sounds interesting for some parts. But say for example, you get some light rust off your rims with WD40 and steel wool. How do you keep that from coming back? Wouldn't want to krylon your chrome, would you?

I like cheap. Cheap is good. I just got a free tin of carnuba wax. xlnt.

aaronarthur said:
Yeah, sounds interesting for some parts.

Bead blasting and coating with satin clear is really only good for parts that were cad plated to begin with like fender braces, seat post clamps, brake arms and the like. Gary

rust prevention on chrome is just keeping it out of the rain and scrubbing rust that develops with 0000 steel wool, or as far as i know. there was a spaceliner i saw that someone cleare the frame, so you couldnt use steel wool or chrome polish, only car wax.

Back