Post War Fiets Cross, Velo Cross, Gravel Pit/Bomb Crater Cross Tribute.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
After WWII few in Europe had much money. There were old bikes that people cobbled together in Holland, France and England for rough ground racing in imitation of their beloved sport, motocross. When the economy picked up in the middle 1950s small motorcycles, scooters and motorized bicycles became affordable. Motocross came back strong so by 1955 these bicycle events were gone. This was not the time for this to catch on as everyone was looking forward to better times and wanted to forget having to make due with patched up rickety vehicles. Many of these bicycles had front suspensions from cyclomotors or light motorcycles.
French VX bicycle with girder cyclomotor fork.
5C795C3B-92B7-424E-A4B5-3BAD7B3AA362.jpeg

English gravel pit racers with drum brakes and springer fork. Wide bars aren’t new.
E73D6DD4-12AF-42D7-91D4-D844CCF02AE1.jpeg

Springer, 3-4 speed cassette, rim brakes.
0F7D3F90-6D7D-4286-A8ED-037222ED9034.jpeg

Dutch racer with front moped suspension.
1EAE3F0C-76A3-4456-B63C-29DE2B7316EA.jpeg

English motorized bicycle fork.
7429646B-C1C2-40FB-B108-88348661D093.jpeg

Late 1940s English clubs.
BB82C757-4337-40E8-A102-E5F46DC0C551.jpeg
BF78E5E4-8C14-4632-A848-1B548BD38BB5.jpeg

Many had drum brakes. In Holland it was called Fiets X, or FX. Fiets is their word for bicycle. In France it was called Velo Cross, VX. In England they called it Bomb Crater, Gravel Pit or Waste Ground Racing. I have some of the parts. A springer fork is a problem as there are no old European cyclomotor bikes here. Even light motorcycle girder and springer forks weigh as much as a bike and the OLD is way off. I still have to inventory my parts.

Last edited:
The old springer forks are a classic... I have quite a few, and always looking for different varieties. Nice little history lesson.

The old springer forks are a classic... I have quite a few, and always looking for different varieties. Nice little history lesson.
I might have to make a facsimile.
I’m glad someone is collecting them and saving them from the tip. Your lucky to be able to find and save them.

This was different than cyclocross, which back then had a lot of running. Cyclocross back then was rough, early races used single speeds. The running technique was short, fast steps. Flip flop hub here. View attachment 229957
Rough unridable or scary cyclocross.View attachment 229958
Single speeds? Looks like only one brake?
View attachment 229960View attachment 229959
Original cyclo-cross. Thanks for the education!!!! Super cool.

-My English 3 speed will have some aggressive tires, hybrid/MTB type deal…. But will be designed more for distance and carrying as opposed to speed and jumps.

Great history, nothing is ever new but just a rehash of the past. When MTB started almost all bikes were non suspended but like the previous off roading of the Europeans we soon had front suspension forks. Just makes sense.

I might have to make a facsimile.

I’m glad someone is collecting them and saving them from the tip. Your lucky to be able to find and save them.
Great history, nothing is ever new but just a rehash of the past. When MTB started almost all bikes were non suspended but like the previous off roading of the Europeans we soon had front suspension forks. Just makes sense.
D9E913D1-BFD6-467C-885A-618C80E3E962.jpeg

That bicycle is seriously cool with front and back suspension and a great suspended seat. Now a lot of what is called MTB is really some form of downhill racing heritage stuff. Downhill was always different from cross country, over hill over dale type of MTB racing. Downhill got full suspension bikes almost as soon as MTB started and they were heavy long travel bikes that got even longer travel. All the newest MTB bikes show a heavy bias toward downhill. They are heavier, even in carbon, and have long travel to accommodate higher downhill speeds and comfort. There has been serious effort on the part of MTB designers and manufacturers to get a fully suspended bike fast enough to beat a good hardtail on cross country type courses . I believe they have managed to do that in the last few years. The pictured bike would be very comfortable on gravel/dirt roads and milder single track. I imagine it is somewhat heavier than the latest carbon full suspension MTB's.

I need to finish two, perhaps three bike projects that I started before my hand surgery. I need the space before I can start on the tribute build off bike. How did all these projects pile up on me? I’m putting the finishing touches on my vintage Triumph motorcycles, I have to finish my Claud Butler track bike, my 50s Columbia and my 50s AMF. Yesterday I finished a one and a half handed built rear wheel for the AMF. Took it a little at a time over three days. This is a give away bike so I’ll have more room. My fused finger is sore this morning from the wheel build.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Original cyclo-cross. Thanks for the education!!!! Super cool.

-My English 3 speed will have some aggressive tires, hybrid/MTB type deal…. But will be designed more for distance and carrying as opposed to speed and jumps.
I read somewhere that cyclocross originated in the early years of bicycle racing as an offseason training exercise to put some fun in it. They would start in one village at the church steeple and race to the next village‘s steeple. A steeple chase of sorts. The winners were the one that made shortcuts, running through fields, tossing their bikes over fences etc. A new sport was born.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back