Pre-War Elgin Tank Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Found This Pre-War Elgin in a shed approx. 6 miles from my house. The original owners son (in his 70's) was having a yard sale. I asked if he had any bikes, he said he had his dad's in the back, and he might be willing to sell it. Well after being lead to the shed out back, and digging back to where the bike was, this is what I found. The dad rode this back and forth to work here in Parsons from the time it was new till up into the 60's. While he changed out the tires, seat, and personalized the paint, this bike is still a rider. I did give it a trip to the car wash.

Jaxon said:
Cool story and score.!! You had me going with the hoop on the back side of the rim. I thought it was a Whizzer type bike....lol

Sorry. It's just a ship porthole that I have leaning against the wall.

I'm thinking this is a 38-40, 4 Star, Input?

Also, do any of you have a correct rear dropout mounting stand? Would like to find one that is in good shape but is un-restored.

Thanks

Sweet score!!!

I have a 1941 Elgin Drop stand & clip with proper shoulder mounting screws. In great condition .. Id sell it for $70 shipped . The stand has been nicely painted silver but is straight & has a great clean base with minimal wear.. PM me if your interested ,, :D
Nice bike by the way..

Thanks guys.

The last thing I'm doing is trying to be a hot shot or a brager, but I have to tell somebody. The wife doesn't give a crap about bikes. I've always wanted to find an original long tank Elgin.

Here's the best part. While the old fellow was helping me dig back to the bike he was very strong as to he was going to want alot of money for the bike and would not budge on what he would want. I'm thinking, well he's probably got a piece of junk and going to want a fortune. When we started to uncover the bike, my mind and heart is yelling Elgin. Dig it out, waiting for the next newborn price, he looks at me and says I want $150.00 for the bike and will take no less!!!!!

I dropped my wallet trying to get it out just as quick as I could, but not look overwhelmingly eager. My 57 yearold heart was doing a breakdance that it never had done before!!!!!

oldfart36 said:
Thanks guys.

The last thing I'm doing is trying to be a hot shot or a brager, but I have to tell somebody. The wife doesn't give a crap about bikes. I've always wanted to find an original long tank Elgin.

Here's the best part. While the old fellow was helping me dig back to the bike he was very strong as to he was going to want alot of money for the bike and would not budge on what he would want. I'm thinking, well he's probably got a piece of junk and going to want a fortune. When we started to uncover the bike, my mind and heart is yelling Elgin. Dig it out, waiting for the next newborn price, he looks at me and says I want $150.00 for the bike and will take no less!!!!!

I dropped my wallet trying to get it out just as quick as I could, but not look overwhelmingly eager. My 57 yearold heart was doing a breakdance that it never had done before!!!!!
Those are the best finds!! The ones that are unbelievable. To so so many, these things are junk or worthless. If they only knew.

1918 Ranger

Decided to have some fun today while I had one of my cars out. OK, so I'm not a pro photographer!

My artsy shot! :roll:

Latest posts

Back