Pre-War Hawthorne Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here goes....

Sears and Roebuck woman's 24" that was taken out of service from the Chrysler Warren Truck Assembly Plant. It was used by an electrician as daily transportation within the plant. It came with a large tool box, odometer, and a broken coaster hub assembly. 956 recorded miles on the bike when I rolled it down the street.

I'm building this trike for cruising around the neighborhood with the kids, I've got 3 of'em. A 4 year old princess, and twin 2.5 year old boys that will love this bike when dad's done.

before
S7303407.jpg

1st mock up with 26" Hawthorne from Craigslist
S7303545.jpg

Sanded frame
S7303626.jpg

Primed frame
S7303628.jpg

Thanks for looking, check back soon!

Dang Dude a 58 Corvette.......Sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought someone would point out the MSU flag before the Corvette. Thanks Uncle Stretch, it is a family heirloom that's been around since I was a little kid. I finished the restoration in the mid 90's with my dad, its a mechanical fuel injected 1960 (same body as a '58). Now it sits in a storage unit far, far away from my kids....

Sorry didnt see the front. I cant believe you would risk overspraying it. :shock: :shock: Love your build but you ought to sell the three wheeler part build the cool prewar frame . Building a three wheeler ,however cool is like trying to customise an aluminum walker . Oh maybe its just my worthless 2 centavos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yeah dont pay any attention to me I have tunnel vision.

Uncle Stretch said:
Building a three wheeler ,however cool is like trying to customise an aluminum walker . Oh maybe its just my worthless 2 centavos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yeah dont pay any attention to me I have tunnel vision.

I have to agree. My brother and I got a trike almost a year ago and are in the process of building it for the third time and it is still not coming out the way I want. I am thinking about building a frame from scratch for it.

Yo Flame it may not be what your looking for, but worksmans new three wheel design is kinda cool. It looks like someone could use some variation of it for a build. :wink:

M2020CB.jpg

Now this is nowhere as cool as Trike's prewar frame but they have potential...another shot of just the frame

IMG00218.jpg

JoeyMac said:
Don't listen to those guys, I think it's great, the kids will LOVE it, you're the coolest dad :)
+1 more for that! and im already loving it :mrgreen: that corvette on the other hand is giving me bad memories(got stuck working on my boss' brothers for 2 months and i hate fiberglass with a passion :x )

Here are he updates. I painted the frame and trike bit a metallic silver, but it ended up looking like a brand new, store bought bike. SO, I re-sprayed with the red primer, and that's the way it will stay. I took the original sprocket from the trike and ground every other tooth off, so it will look like the 1930's original. Now its time to re-assemble and ride.

Before
S7300118.jpg

After
S7300121.jpg

Primed
S7300128.jpg

Here's the update. So far I've spent $53 of the $100 budget.

Suede seat cover, sewn and embroidered by my wife.
S7300184.jpg

Assembled for the first time
S7300225.jpg

S7300218.jpg

Soon to be the only shiny thing on the bike, everything else will be flat primer red or black
S7300223.jpg

I plan to build a crate for the back with a bench seat lid on it for the kiddies. Hopefully, we'll get above freezing here in Michigan...I'll be ready to ride very soon!

now thats cool lookin!! what did you use to grind off each other tooth?

think you could use a cut-off wheel on a die grinder?

stretch said:
think you could use a cut-off wheel on a die grinder?

I don't know. I like the bench grinder because it is so stable. I think a hand held grinder would shake too much, and I wouldn't have control.

i did this same thing on the lucky 7 boardtracker because i wanted to have a skip link nexus 7 hub. i did it the same way using a bench grinder to do it. you do have to pay somewhat attention to grinding them so that they are nice and smooth between the teeth. let us know how making the front skip works out. a lot of my friends thought it would not work on the back because a skip chain is very wide and the gear is really thin but i have never had any issues. i would not think it would have any problems on the front either as long as your chain line is somewhat straight.

now did you grind off every other tooth on both the sprocket AND the rear cog?

stretch said:
now did you grind off every other tooth on both the sprocket AND the rear cog?

Nope, the rear cog didn't get the treatment. I figured if the front sprocket didn't work out as planned, I'd just throw on a standard replacement and just keep peddlin'. :mrgreen: The main, rear sprocket will be hidden inside my cooler/toolbox/bench, so nobody should see the mismatch. I'll post new pics later on, the tool box turned out great.

Back