prewar fork modification

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
South Carolina - smiling faces, beautiful places
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a prewar Colson fork that has drilled holes for the front wheel to mount. My question is...would it be a really bad thing to make slots like later year bikes use ? I don't want to devalue the frame. Just want to make it easier to use different wheels. Any input from Rat Rod/CABE guys would be appreciated.

menzorro said:
I have a prewar Colson fork that has drilled holes for the front wheel to mount. My question is...would it be a really bad thing to make slots like later year bikes use ? I don't want to devalue the frame. Just want to make it easier to use different wheels. Any input from Rat Rod/CABE guys would be appreciated.

We had this conversation with Beatcad a few weeks back. His fork had 1 hole and 1 slot, he tried getting a wheel in it with a regular axle, but would not work. He didn't have a hub with a through axle.

Think about "devalue." Are you thinking of reselling it? What is the current condition? Do you want to ride it or look at it?

Personally, if it was a fork I wanted to use, I'd just cut it, oh well. If it was in good enough condition to make some money off of one day, then I would see out the correct through axle hub to use it.

I slot my prewar Schwinn forks that are like that. If you do a nice job, no one will ever know it was done. Few, anyway. :wink: Gary

Back