Prewar Shelby thread pitch?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
I've been rebuilding a prewar Shelby (39-40). When I started to put the fork back on, I couldn't find the og headset parts. Had a bunch of others laying around (schwinn, cwc, murry, etc) none of them would thread on the steer tube. Finally found the og one, went on perfect. Then when I was rebuilding the seat, I wanted new nuts for the seat pan. Standard (american) nuts and thread pitch wouldn't fit. Ended up trying a metric nut with 1.25 thread pitch, fit perfectly. And finally, went to get new nuts for the ND front hub,again 1.25 threads? Any one know what the deal Is? am I just crazy?
Thanks,
Johnny++

I cannot speak for the other parts, but New Departure had a proprietary thread pitch on their axles. I don't think there is an aftermarket nut that is close enough to be used with any dependability. You can either track down authentic ND nuts or head down to your local machine shop and have them make you some. If you do that have them make a bunch because you are not alone in needing them.

So i'm not crazy! Thanks Cameron. Maybe the 1.25 pitch wasn't the perfect match, but ... did work. Will deff re-check the front axel, thats one area that I want to be 100%. I have a friend at a machine shop, will have him check it out.
Johnny

The thread pitch on the headset should be 24 tpi on all of them. I know that the bearing cups for the early shelby bikes are unique, but the steerer tubes are standard.

Back