probably a easy one for you... older girls schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bike is an hour and a half away from me and owned by a girl, and I have been unsuccessful trying to explain to her some various locations where she could find a serial #....

To me, this bike looks older than my own girls schwinn which is a 63...
I know it aint the right seat, and the grips look wrong too, but Im no expert...
I believe it has the old school schwinn-size tires on it, which is why they are flat and bike unused.
That chain guard is so sexxxy, reminds my of a 50s Cadillac or other big-finned car.

Can anybody help me narrow it down to at least a 5yr period, or maybe getting closer to the age will help in locating the serial #?
Thankyou!

Not a Schwinn, but a Colson, around 1941 or so. Serial number is on bottom of bottom bracket tube.

The seat, grips, handlebars, and rear wheel are not original. All else may be.

Finally got her to comrehend where to find the serial#...

Its 24748 GY, with a little K1 above that.

not even in the schwinn database, unless im typing it wrong, i tried 2 different ways....

Thats pretty cool if it turns out to be a prewar bike, there is no headbadge on it either...
Is there a data base for Colson like the schwinn one?
Should there be a skiptooth on it, or is not old enough for that?

I
...Should there be a skiptooth on it, or is not old enough for that?

It is plenty old enough, in 41 most bikes used 1 inch gauge. 1/2 inch gauge was considered an upgrade, and oftentimes the highest level or most deluxe model came with 1/2 inch.

so, now a google search led me to This thread on another forum.

I believe you are right, ts a 1941 Colson, the K represents 11 for nov, and the 1 represents 41, which is right after they changed serial# format!

Thanks for the lead bro!

ps- there is no skiptooth on it... :(

the GY stands for good-year. its also a colson clipper 1941 only if its stamped GY.
I would be interested in the chain guard for my clipper if the bike ever came up for sale.

the GY stands for good-year. its also a colson clipper 1941 only if its stamped GY.
I would be interested in the chain guard for my clipper if the bike ever came up for sale.

Hmm, im not understanding this...
So its a Good Year, made by Colson?

If we were to look for a headbadge, what would we be looking for?

the way they did it was like this, colson made the bike but, could contract other companys to put their head badge on bikes say like vogue, ride-well, flyer, firestone, good-year and a lot of other company's but the bike is still made by colson just badged for a different company.

If you were looking for a head badge you would first have to find a tank, the head badge is mounted on the top of the tank and is not at all a easy head badge to find, I believe I payed 350.00 for my head badge. but here is a picture of what the bikes tank would look like and what the head badge would look like.

Wow!
Thanks guys, very good info you gave me!

To answer all the PMs about selling parts, sorry guys she has no intentions of selling :)

Back