Problem with a wheel build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have laced dozens of wheels. I just finished swapping a hub on my buddies beast and have run into an odd problem. As I am drawing the spokes up every 2 spokes is loose.

To clarify, starting at the valve hole the spokes are 2 snug, 2 loose, 2 snug, 2 loose, etc. Its a 3x pattern.

Any idea what could cause this? All the spokes are the same length, the new hub has a slightly larger flange, but even that wouldn't explain the problem.

Could it be that I need to swap the direction of the spokes on 1 side of the wheel?

Thanks!

I got it figured out. The ChoppersUS hub didn't have offset spoke holes. Turns out its just pressed together, so I gave it some "persuasion" and now the wheel is fine.

I knew I wasn't crazy!

Or, you could have just moved all the spokes one hole! :) almost all hubs are offset drilled, ok all hubs are offset drilled, have to be. If yours has turned with will do it again, sorry for the bad news.

I tried moving the spokes 1 hole. That didn't help. It just made the problem go in the other direction. If the problem continues, I will have to weld the flanges onto the hub.

Latest posts

Back