Project Bike #1 UPDATED (October 2011) Even More New Pics!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just joined a freecycle group in my area and posted I was looking for some old bikes. Well I already got a hit and someone replied and I may be getting a project bike this weekend.

The email said it is a Murray California Cruzer and here is the pic I got in the email:
2011-06-23.jpg

I'll take another one when and if I actually get the bike.

I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Some ideas I have been contemplating and am a fan of are:
layback seatpost (def), led bullet lamp (def), drag bars (maybe), colored wheels and rims (maybe), springer fork (big maybe, dependent on cost).

I am also contemplating making a campus cruiser for a friend who also just went back to school and loved my Nirve Switchblade chopper (see my profile pic). But seeing as how he was a fan of my chopper, I would love to build him an actual laid back, raked ride. From scratch. We'll see where these ideas go though.

So if anyone can point me to a great and detailed LED Light Building For Dummies site, pdf, or book, please, let me know. I have access to some equipment but basically do not own any tools other than for general (beyond the public) bike repairs. But my brother has access to most whatever I need through his job.

And so soon after my road bike build. I can't wait!

Any thoughts, ideas, links, feedback welcomed and encouraged.

Shawn.

Re: Project Bike #1 UPDATED

I did get the bike! Go Freecycle! Anyway...

I got it all stripped down to the frame, except for the bottom bracket and fork. I have to do some reading on those.
Here it is, in all it's faded and dusty glory.

IMG_20110626_134037.jpg

IMG_20110626_134124.jpg

IMG_20110626_134136.jpg

IMG_20110626_134204.jpg

IMG_20110626_134232.jpg

And finally...
IMG_20110626_145427.jpg

Don't worry about the lock. The guy seemed legit. He swore it was his and gave me a history of it. He just forgot the number. As soon as my brother returns home, it's getting cut off.

The bike is in decent shape, albeit dirty as can be. I think there may have been some corpses of extinct bugs in and around the bike as well. :D
I think I will keep it simple for my first build and am thinking of going with a Zombie Motorcycle (GTA IV) look: all black, medium apes, red rims with whitewalls.

Reference picture:
34ynyv5.jpg

Or redwalls. :p

Anyone know how to remove these type forks and stems? I was having a hard time and don't know if it is just stuck or if I am forgetting something. Or if anyone can give me the proper names or styles, I can look it up. Is it necessary to remove the chain ring and BB? Or should I just clean around it real good? It spins pretty good and has minimal surface rust. And what are people's experience with cleaning and painting rims? Do you disassemble the whole wheel, clean it up and paint it and then rebuild it? And if so, do you use new spokes or the originals?

Will have some parts for sell or trade when I am done.
Thanks.

Peat, that's exactly the kind of instructions I was looking for. Thanks!

I would have posted sooner, but we had 80mph winds rip through here Sunday night/Monday morning and the internet just came on tonight. Some people were still without power as of earlier this evening. I'll have to go for a ride and see what's what tomorrow.

No tornado, just straight up wind! I was awake when it started and watched it. I almost ran out to the garage to get my bikes.
:p

Got it. I had to take a break after fussing around trying to add a second light in the garage so I could see better and being attacked by a wasp/hornet.
*shiver*

And as I sat inside Farking*, it hit me on what exactly I needed to do, as I was unclear on where and how to 'tap' it. Derp.

* it's a verb for a website, if you don't know.

I took a small break as I class started up again and I had to get in the swing of a schedule. I managed to get most of the paint of, still got a little ways to go.

IMG_20110711_01.jpg

IMG_20110711_02.jpg

IMG_20110711_03.jpg

I went through two of these so far:
Before
IMG_20110711_05.jpg

After
IMG_20110711_04.jpg

Too bad you don't have access to a sandblaster.. Paint off in seconds.. A bike frame would take literally 2 min. Looks sweet so far.

Thanks. I wish I had access to one also. :p
I wish I had access to money as well. This is a pure DIY/what tools can I borrow from my brother project.

I got all the paint off that my tools and fat hands could reach. I finally broke down and went and bought a spray can of paint remover. It's 'soaking' now.

IMG_20110711_12.jpg

IMG_20110711_13.jpg

IMG_20110711_14.jpg

Next step is soap and water and general paint prep! And then the paint! :D

Next step is cleaning the wheels and sprocket/crank. Can anyone point me to a cheap/DIY chrome remover guide?

here is my bike, just thought id share since its similar to how you want your bike 8) . just some inspiration. i was thinking about sandblasting it and clearcoating it for the raw look.
cruisin.jpg

Nice. I like it. I like the red chain. I was thinking of little touches like that. Maybe some red cups (BB & headset).

Frame has been primered. Will post pics after it dries and I can touch it. No runs, no missed spots. Not bad for a first timer.

looks like the bike is already done in your profil picture. haha. i love these murray frames so much. cant wait to see it

Re: Project Bike #1 UPDATED More Pics!!!

Frame already has it's first 'flat' black coat. Going to look for some reflective paint for the 'head badge' tomorrow at the stores.

As it is:
IMG_20110711_15.jpg

IMG_20110711_16.jpg

IMG_20110711_17.jpg

IMG_20110711_18.jpg

IMG_20110711_19.jpg

IMG_20110711_20.jpg

IMG_20110711_21.jpg

Hmm, I don't know why that first pic keeps going sideways. Stupid photobucket. And I didn't realize my grubby fingerprints would show up on film like that. I should have washed my hands after eating...
:p

Looking pretty sweet man. The primer would look rad with red or black rims.. I like the primer color a lot.

IMG_20110711_22.jpg

IMG_20110711_23.jpg

IMG_20110711_24.jpg

IMG_20110711_25.jpg

IMG_20110711_26.jpg

IMG_20110711_27.jpg

I like this picture so much I took a second one:
IMG_20110711_28.jpg

IMG_20110711_29.jpg

IMG_20110711_30.jpg

D'oh! I messed up painting my 'head badge'. Off to get more paint and sand when I get back.

Pictures/update soon. I fell a little behind in my homework and am trying to catch up. Actually trying to gt it all done so I can enjoy a few weeks off.

My 'head badge'. Bonus points if anyone knows what it is.

IMG_20110711_31.jpg

IMG_20110711_32.jpg

I am letting the clearcoat dry now, will see how it looks in a few days. Also, letting some greasy bottom bracket parts soak, until I mi hermano returns his drill to me.

Yes, you read that right. :p

If anyone cares, I cleaned up all the bottom bracket parts and disassembled the wheels and cleaned everything. I just got back from a local powder coater and should have everything back in a few days.

I hope they do a good job. And I was pleasantly surprised at the price I was quoted. I told the guy he will have all my future business. Provided they are good of course. So reassembling the bike will start soon. I think I have an idea what I want to do with the front end and I may have to break down and buy a fork. I am looking at a Nirve Switchblade Double Crown (the same one that is on my Nirve). And with some modding I think I can achieve the look I am going for.

Pic
NirveSwitchbladeDoubleCrown.jpg

If anyone knows of an extra one for sale, PLEASE let me know. I cruised through the swap meet forums and looked online and didn't see one. I'll be posting over there in a few minutes under wanted.

Thanks for looking/reading/following. I'll get started again soon. :p

Back