Project Krate-Ray MILK KRATE FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Project Krate-Ray PROGRESS 8/22

It's a five speed shifter, it just won't go into 5th gear. I think with a little fine tuning I'll get all 5 gears smoothly. I have a 5 speed disc brake hub coming from rustymotors, so I'll worry about the derailer later. I just wanted to get this thing on the road for tomorrow.

Re: Project Krate-Ray AFTERMATH 8/23

Learned the hardway not to throw together a bike that is going to be dragraced. Apparently I bumped it into 5th while cranking hard at top speed, 5th doesn't work and it instantly locked up and threw me hard to the ground. The back wheel is all bent up and I'm layed-up in bed. Don't know what is hurt yet but I have a huge bulge on the top of my left foot, left knee is messed up, and somehow crushed most of my toes. It has gotten soo bad I can't even walk. EVERYONE RUNNING DERAILERS: TAKE MY ADVICE AND GET YOUR GEARS WORKING PERFECTLY BEFORE RIDING, IT'S JUST NOT WORTH CHANCING IT!

Re: Project Krate-Ray AFTERMATH 8/23

i figured you had to be hurting pretty bad. you went down hard! I was suprised you got up so quick. hopefully nothing is broken

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 8/30

Nothing special, got a 5 speed mag sprocket from CCR and relocated the chainguard brackets to fit. I'll most likely buy a chrome 5 speed chainguard in the future along with a 24" springer. A few more parts to get and she's ready to be disassembled and painted.

bikes-12.jpg

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 8/30

Parts update: got my disc brake 5 speed hub (thanks rustymotors) just can't get the freewheel or disc to break loose :x I'm just going to soak it in wd40 for a few days. Also just bought an original Apple Krate chainguard from a local guy. The only parts I need now is the 24" springer and a 16'' S-7 rim or complete Atom drum brake front wheel. After that it's time to strip it down and repaint, it's going to be a ????-Krate.

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 9/16

My chainguard came today and I also picked up a repop schwinn superior front tire, if I could just find a 16" S-7 :roll:

bikes051-1.jpg

bikes052-1.jpg

SWEET BUILD! I have an ols S-7 wheel I pulled off of a 1969 pea picker about 10 years ago. It is just a coaster style front wheel and hub so no drum brake.The shine isn't the greatest, but there is no rust on the outside. It is a little rough on the tube side, but no one will see that. e-mail if you are interested.

That looks like a '68 shifter. the '68 krates didn't have a front drum or fender, so that wheel I just sent will look correct for the bike especially if you leave off the front fender.

Cool, thanks. I can't wait to get the wheel. I'll probably run it until I can find a loose Atom hub and then just lace it into this rim. Only one part left to find...

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 9/22

Got a pair of 24" springers last night (thanks willyschad) and I have a 16" S-7 wheel on its way (thanks bikebuilder) It's sitting nose high like an old gasser right now but that will change with the 16" wheel. If anyone wants this tall sissy bar I'll trade for a regular height schwinn, I just don't like it at all.

bikes069.jpg

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 9/26

Finally got my 16" wheel from bikebuilder and tossed on my tire (no tube) just to see how it looked. I guess I'm to the point where it gets totally disassembled and repainted. I might wait until late October until after our Halloween ride.

bikes-15.jpg

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 9/26

Well, I did it. I stripped the original paint off the frame and chainguard :( For those that know me I am totally against destroying original paint so this was a hard decision to make. No pictures, it's just too sad to see right now. I guess it'll all be worth it in the end, hopefully.

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 11/16

Finally got the frame back from powdercoating, it's more of an off white than the pic shows. Still need to paint and make stickers for the chainguard, find a front drum brake and krate sissy bar, and then she's done.
bikes087-3.jpg

Is it going to be a cotton picker? Looks good!

Nope, not a Cotton. I'm not at liberty to say what it will be until it is done, but it will be the first that I know of.

It looks great. I really like white Stingrays, not only because they're rare but they look so clean! I can't wait to see it finished.

Back