Project Purple - No longer a project.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Project Purple - time to add some bling!

The rear fender is mounted along with my sorry excuse for a "blue dot". The bike may receive a real bluedot tailight someday...
IMG_0719.jpg

This little Knog taillight will have to do for now:
IMG_0718.jpg

The purple bars are installed but seem awfully wide. They might need trimmed down a bit. I had a Trek cyclometer laying around doing nothing so I decided to use it. Also tossed on a Knog headlight. Sorry about the blurry image. Someone hiccuped as it was being taken... :roll:
IMG_0717.jpg

The honey B-67 should class things up a bit. I received the big Bell handlebar bag as a gift a while back. It fits fine behind the saddle.
IMG_0720.jpg

wow, That is a classy looking, ride-able bike! Very nice features too

No doubt!
This is one classy and flashy ride!!!

Re: Project Purple - Lighting things up!

Here is some more purple prism tape. I like this pattern...
IMG_0721.jpg

We'll just stick a little on the rear carrier...
IMG_0726.jpg

Took 1" off of each side of the ridiculously wide bars. I still kept them wide enough to win disapproval from the fixie crowd.
IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

It seems that an ongoing theme this year is a cool old headlight with LED's inside. I wanted a cool old headlight with LED's inside so I made one from this:
IMG_0722.jpg

And this:
IMG_0723.jpg

It came out pretty well. The whole thing fit in the old Miller shell so it required very little modification.
IMG_0727.jpg

The black spot on the side is a hole covered by an piece of old inner tube. The pushbutton light switch is behind it. The light is held in place (sort of) with the black thumbscrew underneath.
IMG_0728.jpg

Low beam (1 LED)
IMG_0732.jpg

Medium (6 LED's)
IMG_0733.jpg

High (16 LED's) The two on the bottom are red blinkies.
IMG_0731.jpg

Next up - A little neon!
IMG_0730.jpg

LED-ized lights have been a theme here for quite a while. Yours turned out great!!!

Keep it up. The bike is looking sharp.

Thinking of taking the day off from bikes but not until this difficult task is done. Adding Dudds Dice!
dice.jpg

Getting closer to completion...
IMG_0729.jpg

Peatbog said:
:p I just ordered some Dudds Dice yesterday for my bike (only in white). I like his because they are the only valve cover dice I have seen that have the rounded corners.

They do look good with the rounded corners. I like all the wild colors they come in. They have a solid purple version but the swirly was much cooler, even if it didn't match the bike as well... :roll:

Details...details...details...

These little glass reflectors have become very hard to find in certain colors. I thought mine were all used up until I ran across this one in a small parts bin. Now I can get rid of the ugly blue plastic one on the rear rack...

IMG_0734.jpg

I wasn't sure about a taillight until I found a part from an old generator unit. I stuffed a little Coleman 3-LED light inside. Took a little coaxing with a Dremel tool but it all fit nicely. I even found a blue dot to add to the lens.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

I still have to add the BikeGlow and this will be close to completion.

While they are never *really* finished, I think I'm at the point where I am happy with this build.

IMG_0755.jpg

The neon is installed and I just had to wait for it to get dark enough out to take a picture.

IMG_0767.jpg

All lit up!

IMG_0765.jpg

darklights.jpg

I always liked the purple glow of bluedot taillights on street rods so I had to add one to the bike.

IMG_0766.jpg

And then there were two...

IMG_0751.jpg

:)

Huh, What, Where!!!??????

Have we been watching one build or two???????

Love this bike(s).

kingsting said:
Peatbog said:
I believe the other purple bike is the one he built a couple of year's ago.

Yep! The other one was started right after the 2010 buildoff ended. I've been having so much fun with it that I wanted to do another.

Oh yeah, I kinda remember that somewhere in your thread.
Very cool bike!!!! Great job!

Let's call this one done! Thread here with photos:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60831

This bike may receive some alloy wheels, Mathauser brake pads, and a few more accessories in the future but for now the bike has enough flash for the buildoff. Of course getting this bike away from the wife to add the parts may be difficult since she actually enjoys riding it.

Because I just can't leave things alone... :roll:

The bike now has polished alloy rims. They are off of a mid-80's Schwinn World Sport. The weight savings over the old S-6 steel rims was quite significant.

IMG_0795.jpg

I liked the look of the high flange Sprint hubs so instead of a wheel swap, I respoked both rims onto the old original hubs.

IMG_0800.jpg

I added some Scott/Mathauser (Yokozuna) salmon brake pads to improve the stopping duties.

IMG_0798.jpg

The wife has put almost 55 miles on this bike since it was completed.

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Latest posts

Back