Project Tornado RAT ROD RaTornado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well now that Dark Horse 2 is done I can get back to work on the other million bikes in the old shed. I picked this beauty up on Craigslist because I have always wanted one and I finally found one that wasn't made of gold but it was in pretty sad shape but not to fear a rat rodder like me has some tricks up his sleeve to bring it back to life. I am still not sure what direction I am going to go but I have a few ideas. I lost track of time and accidentally let the oven cleaner sit a bit too long on the fork and it started to eat the original paint with it. Also found out the chain guard is from a blue Collgate and is not original. I am thinking of going one of these four ways:

1. Take it back down to the red with some bare metal spots and clear it as an "aged original"
2. All the way to bare metal rat rod style (I haven't done one yet but seen plenty of cool examples here)
3. Full re-paint and restore (Boring and with the mini apes it's not original anyway so probably not this one)
4. Resto-mod original style decals but with some metal flake red paint instead of the bland Schwinn red then maybe do the darts and lettering with a pearl white.

So here's the starting point a 1960 Schwinn Tornado

I got it broken down to the frame and started getting the ugly blue off of it. It has had more than one re-spray over the years, it was originally red, then a coat of grey primer, then a burgundy red, then white, then blue.

getting there

Fork was looking good but I let it sit too long and some of the original red came off with it :x

As she sits now

More to come tomorrow.

Re: Project Typhoon POLL

I say either bare metal or make up your own paint scheme.
Take a look at the paint scheme of Gumby Rumpus. I think it makes the twin bars stand out nicely.

I'm kinda leaning that way myself, at least see what's there then if it's not as good as I think it should be to go all the way to bare metal since I haven't done one yet.

Ok so I went a bit further than I intended to with the stripping of paint but after seeing the fork washed and more paint flaking off almost to bare metal with just a few remnants of paint left I went digging in my parts pile for ideas and found my red chain guard from a Schwinn American with a killer patina and a nice condition red seat. So I decided to just make it a Rat Rod! I stripped it almost to bare metal, painted the fenders black, added the red chain guard and seat, threw a few coats of clear on it, and a new alloy kickstand so I don't have to kick the crap out of the old one to get it to go up and down. So what do y'all think?

Went ahead and painted the head badge then sanded the letters and border

Cleared the chain guard to bring the color back to life

Re: Project Tornado RAT ROD

LukeTheJoker said:
Wow! That is so cool!
Looks amazing and I think you made the right choice!

Luke.

Thanks, I was kinda nervous when I started to see the paint peeling off and seeing bare metal coming through but when I got it together and stood back it looked great and I'm happy with it.

Came out great!! I'g give it a greasier look, plus grease might keep rust from coming unless that's the intent.b

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Came out great!! I'g give it a greasier look, plus grease might keep rust from coming unless that's the intent.b
It's already clear coated to prevent rust.

Got my new rear wheel all laced up. I am stoked to have pulled off a lace pattern that I have never tried before then modified it a way I have never seen anyone pull off. So I present to you my wheel lace pattern. 3 leading, 3 trailing, with a center twist. Gives you a headache just looking at it and trying to figure out just what is going on.

A little closer

Ready to freak out? Really close up. Notice how the trailing spokes weave in and out of the leading spokes? :mrgreen: 8)

I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow when I install it on the bike. I also have a matching front wheel with normal lace pattern.

Here they are with tires mounted

Better look at the rear

Good close up

On the bike

This tire fills the fender nicely.

Figured I'd update the build thread a little here so you can all see it.

A BIG thanks to Tony V. AKA "IronDio"

I also painted the trailer a bit to match better.

And a little photo editing

Made a tank

Just laid one half there to see how it looked

Laced up like an old shoe

All the accessories line up perfect.

Back