Pulled from a tomb

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up yesterday. Been in a basement since before I was born. Serial number shows '55 or' 57, but the brown seat under that cover makes me think '55. Corvette 3 speed. Aired up the tires and rode it. Goes through the gears and pedals great. What do you guys think I should do? Restore or leave it? Believe it or not, the red paint is faded to the color you see now.
158a1e08da554d7c7e8cf31e4d01f973.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

If it were me, I'd clean it with auto wash and wax and take some wadding polish to the chrome. I might even try a little test spot on the underside with Brillo. Go super easy on the graphics though, especially the seal on the seat post. You'd be amazed how well Schwinns of that vintage react to a little elbow grease.

Unfortunately, the graphics are mostly gone. You can make out the 2 t's in "corvette", and the cross in the middle of the schwinn logo if you hold your head right. I think some of it will clean up great. But I'm still considering a resto. I've never gotten a bike so complete. (even has a Schwinn Westwind tire on the front). The only thing it's missing is the headlight and correct pedals.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Back