Putting 700c wheels on a 26" frame.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm a little confused about this concept. I've looked up 69ers, browsed the mtb forums and what not and I've gotten conflicting answers from different people. My understanding is that 26" wheels with balloon tires are the same diameter as a 700c wheel with a real skinny tire. Am I wrong or can I just pop a set of 700c's with skinny tires on a cantilever frame?. Is there anything else I need to do?. Thanks for your time :)

A quick check in my cold garage (less than ideal conditions), a yardstick says ,my 26 x 2.125 Red bricks go 26.5" and the 700C x 35s on my Trek 7200 go a strong 27.6ish.

You will always get contradicting answers. The pure and simple truth is, some 26er frames can take 700c wheels, others can't. It really depends on the frame you use.

Baron von Zach said:
You will always get contradicting answers. The pure and simple truth is, some 26er frames can take 700c wheels, others can't. It really depends on the frame you use.

Thank you. That makes more sense than half saying yes and half saying no. I'm planning on using 23's or 25's so I meant it when I said skinny tires. :). Trial and error it is.

Yeah, thats a true' been there' bike! I always like looking at that one........was just thinking maybe we need to call you Steve (Jan) Solo and thats the Minneapolis Falcon........

MplsCoaster said:
Had to modify my dropouts to make room for the 700x40s but there is a lot of meat on a Spaceliner dropout.
Used a 27" Japanese 10 speed fork up front but proabaly didn't need to for clearence.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43403
Good Luck!

Drools....... That's gorgeous. Thanks XD

onyxaxe said:
MplsCoaster said:
Had to modify my dropouts to make room for the 700x40s but there is a lot of meat on a Spaceliner dropout.
Used a 27" Japanese 10 speed fork up front but proabaly didn't need to for clearence.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43403
Good Luck!

Drools....... That's gorgeous. Thanks XD

Oh, aye, spiffy thing this is. But it's a very close call, too.

Back