Question about converting 7 speed to single speed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone can give me an assist, My wife's got a Huffy 26" seven speed. It's a cruiser style. I'm in the process of stripping and re-painting the frame. My question is would it be possible to convert it to a single speed with coaster brake? And is it as easy as changing the rear rim with the addition of the coaster? Thanks for the help.

It should work as long as you have horizontal dropouts to adjust chain tension. The rear spacing may be greater but just suck it up with the nuts.

make sure the drop outs are not vertical. if so this will make converting it harder as there will be no way to adjust it without a chain tentsioner. as long as the drop outs go somewhat backwards you are good this is what we call semi horizontal drop outs. oh and your spacing will be narrower with the coaster hub but as long as the axle is long enough when you tighten the axle nuts it will squeeze the frame closed.

The old front sprocket might work, but it could easily be a source of unpleasantness, as it is 3/32", and coasters use 1/8". Chain must be swapped to 1/8". Tubular spacers can probably be added to the coaster axle to reduce the difference in width, if it's way off.

I appreciate all the info! A LBS suggested the that I just lose the derailer,and the shifter, pick a gear on the rear sprocket and just run a smaller/tighter chain. The front sprocket is a single. Might not look as clean as a complete conversion but the bike will be a spare for when the kids come to visit, as the wife has a new Schwinn . Any pros or cons to the LBS suggested method? Thanks again.

Some of the old bikes I get going for a charity need the deraillers removed because they are bad, then I shorten the chain and it rides on one of the middle gears on the cluster. But if the derailler isn't damaged, I would do like deorman suggested, and leave it in 3rd or 4th gear and be done with it, less work and money spent with the same results.

deorman said:
If you're going to do that, why not just leave it? No one says you have to shift. :|

I know, that does seem pretty obvious, but while stripping the bike the thought of a single speed cruiser seemed to fit the bike better. (Plus I'm on vacation and need a little project.)

I would just pick up a 26" coaster wheel and be done with it. As it would be cheaper and probably ride better not to mention no hassles of still having to deal with a derailleur if if you aren't shifting it. I wouldn't even mess around with getting a coaster hub and lacing it up to the stock rim. Not to mention what does a new chain cost....10 bucks if that? Plus a chain breaker if you don't have one also...5 bucks? I'd say the most you'd spend tops would be 50 for everything and that's if that coaster wheel is gold plated and previous owned by Elvis. lol. Even if the drop outs aren't horizontal you can still get a half link for the chain and get it pretty darn close to compensate for not having the room to adjust the wheel.

Back