Question about Springer Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
i'd be interested in those...what are you thinking as far as price?

also, firebikes has the same repro forks so im seeing what they can do to assure me ill be satisfied. rat mentioned having my face insured, and i figure im so close to the ground as it is, that i can stop myself. ha ha
i'd talk to monstermetal before dealing with firebikes... Larry had a... lets call it an extremely expensive less than satisfactory experience with them...

i have got to make one of those forks, or at least something similar.
i have a welding shop that lets me go through their scrap whenever i want and take anything for free.
i am pretty sure i can get most of what is needed there for free.

Dorian said:
Those homemade springers are a cool idea but I can't print off the instructions on my printer. I'll hve to get one of those screen capture programs to get it. The guy john Brain who did that fork plan is on Myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=78752421 it looks like he's made a couple of different ones :idea:

Dorian

i have been talking to him for a few weeks now. he said there is no printable version of the instructions because he didnt write the article. his email is in there somewhere. he's more than happy to answer any ?s about the process! trust me, i know!

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
Dorian said:
Those homemade springers are a cool idea but I can't print off the instructions on my printer. I'll hve to get one of those screen capture programs to get it. The guy john Brain who did that fork plan is on Myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=78752421 it looks like he's made a couple of different ones :idea:

Dorian

i have been talking to him for a few weeks now. he said there is no printable version of the instructions because he didnt write the article. his email is in there somewhere. he's more than happy to answer any ?s about the process! trust me, i know!
I printed a copy of these on my printer. If you go to printer setup and change your format from portrait to landscape, it all prints. Sometimes you have to match up the bottom of one page to the top of the next, but at least it's not cut off on the side...

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
Dorian said:

Dorian

I'm sure that john brain wrote the springer article, Its probably the program or layout that makes it hard to print. At least you can easlily print out the drawings of the plates. I'll try and print it out on landscape mode. If I get stuck I will write him. I have to find some good springs.

Thanks

Dorian

i got the lower springs from home depot for 8$ and for the upper springs im just using original springer fork springs that are 3.5 inches and im putting the fatter end down.

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
i got the lower springs from home depot for 8$ and for the upper springs im just using original springer fork springs that are 3.5 inches and im putting the fatter end down.

Did you buy the porch swing springs like the ones used in the article? They seem like a good size. What are you going to use as a spring retainer on the springer fork springs? Thanks.

Dorian

YEAH the porch springs are almost identical to the ones in the article. if you look and read carefully, you see that he doesnt have any retainer cups on the upper springs. (i thought about it too) but i think the reason why is because on the upper springs a retainer would slide and creak on the spring rods.

With the chrome Schwinn-style forks, if your wheel is splayed to one side when centered between the legs :x , before before bending anything or dishing the wheel :roll: , try flipping the steer tube front to back. :wink:

So, i have a springer fork, but the steerer tube is too short for my Schwinn american. I know the steerer tube is removable, but are there longer replacements available?

Back