Question about tire fitment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys! I've been contemplating this sick, twisted scheme to put a 24 x 3.0 FatAzz or Fatti-O whitewall on the back of my 26" middleweight Schwinn Typhoon. Has anyone tried this before? Will it fit without modifying the frame? Thanks for any advice/warnings/whatever! :D
100_3003.jpg

You'll also probably have to run a spacer or two on the crank (sprocket side) to kick the chain out so that it doesn't rub the tire too.

Here are a few shots of my build off bike that ran a 24"x3" tire out back....it's an 80s Schwinn Cruiser frame.

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

the typhoon rear stays may be skinnier than "the tuxedo"s, im pretty sure it was made for 26x2.125s, best thing to do would be measure the stays.

Like ratrod, I am barely getting my 24x3 in my murray frame.
DSC03002.jpg

I had to pull the frame apart a bit, slide in a 2x3 piice of lumber and squeeze it back together. I'm almost done with my build, I'll take a photo from a similar vantage point that ratdod did when I get it together.

Thanks to everybody for the input. Ratrod's photos show me that my frame stays are pretty skinny where it counts most. Looks like if I'm gonna use a 24 x 3 tire, I'll just hafta build another bike. Darn!! :wink:

Back