Question for the BMX/Cruiser guys about rim choice/specs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a build that requires I use 105ga spokes.

I want to run Sun Rhyno Lite rims, but don't know if the bigger 105ga nipples will fii through the rim eyelets. Anyone have experience with this or something similar? I'll go to a non-eyelet rim if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Thanks fellas.

everything-is-proceeding-1nmfb2.jpg

I picked up these some time ago, likely new old stock from the late 80's or so, I bought a pair in 1 5/8" wide, 1 3/4" wide, and a pair of 2" wide rims.
They're single wall but super heavy duty looking.
I've been thinking of using a few for a fat tire project using either an old solid fork MTB or an old balloon tire Elgin frame.
I'd probably build them using spoke washers and a set of 12 ga spokes on a pair of same era cartridge bearing hubs.
I just have my doubts as to which caliper would work with a 2" wide rim. They're also black anodized, so any rim brake will eat the black off the sides in short order.

Femco 26x2.125.JPG

If you'd like, I can check some of the vintage aluminum 26" MTB singlewall rims I have around here to see if there is a make/model you will not have to modify.
Thanks, but I think I have it handled. I've got some SE 26" silver alloy rims on order. They look the vintage part and don't have eyelets. If I need to enlarge the spoke holes slightly, it's NBD.

Thanks, but I think I have it handled. I've got some SE 26" silver alloy rims on order. They look the vintage part and don't have eyelets. If I need to enlarge the spoke holes slightly, it's NBD.
I’ve used the SE double wall rims on 3 of my builds and they’re great. Make sure you use rim tape not straps.

You’re a lot smarter than me. I made the mistake of using straps on my first set.

Latest posts

Back