Question Identifying Year: vintage Schwinn Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stretch on RRB, but is anyone aware of a semi-accurate way (other than the serial stamp) to identify the year of a Schwinn road frame just by looking it over? I'm interested in this Varsity (link below), which the seller estimates to be a '60 or '61 model, but believe that such a model would have the "jockey" or "suicide" derailleur common on Schwinns at the time. If this isn't as early a model as thought, how can a later year be deduced? Thanks!

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/4964215119.html

On the set tube, the decal isn't the same from year to year, and on that bike, that sure looks like an early 60's.

It's Coppertone in color, my favorite. Schwinn only offered that color from 1963 to 1967. That looks like a very good paint job, no big scratches.

I'd get that bike in a second! Especially at 90 bucks!

Sept 64 build date. I saw the first pic and posted before looking at the serial number.

I hadn't cross-referenced the serial number yet; just came across it. Thanks for looking that up! I'm a big fan of Coppertone, too, especially with the limited production. May go take a look at it, after all.

Brooks saddle too. Deluxe model too, with the stainless? fenders.

2jebdox.jpg

I bought a '56 Racer with a Lycett (Brooks) saddle two months ago; the Brooks saddle was a big attractant to this one, as well, and the early frame really looks great! It may be a deluxe; not sure whether the fenders are stainless. Is it difficult to find the shift levers they used on these? Never owned one like this.

I'm currently in the market for a simpler daily for this summer. There's a 5-spd. Collegiate in nearby Indianapolis, but I'm not certain on its exact year, either. No serial photo. Any clue?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/4950901623.html

The Collegiate looks like a mutt. Probably around the same era as the Varsity. A stock Collegiate from then would have fenders, upright bars, and a different chain ring and guard. -Adam

The Collegiate looks like a mutt. Probably around the same era as the Varsity. A stock Collegiate from then would have fenders, upright bars, and a different chain ring and guard. -Adam

Yeah, and 26 x1 3/8" wheels. Collegiate is a definite mutt, but i'd still rock it. The coppertone Varsity is hotter, though, in my opinion. Main thing with these electro-forged Schwinn "lightweights" is to buy one that fits you. Unlike the cruisers, these came in a several different frame sizes, so you'll want to take advantage of that. OTherwise, you're likely to be switching components and stuff anyway, so get the one you like, so long as it fits you.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm supposed to be somewhere between a 57 and 60 cm frame, but haven't paid much attention to that here. My goal is to really fix up whatever I buy to be a comfortable road bike, and possibly outfit it with all the modern comforts of some new components. The Varsity looks great, but I'm afraid I'd be too worried about keeping it original to make it into that. Collegiate's one I wouldn't mind altering.

The Collegiate came out in 64, and that one is coppertone too, so it's 64-67, although I didn't see that kind of shifter on the 1967 illustration in the catalog scans. Looks like a Columbia chain ring and newer chain guard, and as mentioned above, the Collegiate would have had upright handlebars. A steal at 50 bucks and you can do whatever to it. Also looks like the same size frame as the Varsity. Here's the catalog scans I use to pick out the differences on Schwinns. Sometimes a certain year will have the name in a different spot or decals will ID a certain model and year.

http://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/

Thanks for all the advice. I'm supposed to be somewhere between a 57 and 60 cm frame, but haven't paid much attention to that here. My goal is to really fix up whatever I buy to be a comfortable road bike, and possibly outfit it with all the modern comforts of some new components. The Varsity looks great, but I'm afraid I'd be too worried about keeping it original to make it into that. Collegiate's one I wouldn't mind altering.

Get a bigger frame. They're super plentiful, especially in bigger sizes. Look for a Varsity/Continental/Suburban(27"wheel) or Speedster/Racer/Collegiate(26" wheel) with a 24" frame. 24" works out to 61cm but Schwinn lightweights' geometry have lower BBs and fit "Smaller" as a result; toptubes are "Square" for the 27"-wheel bikes, and a bit longer on the 26"wheel bikes. The 22" frames you're looking at run at about 56cm, and i think you'll get your commutin' groove on better on a bike that fits ya.

I just built up a Super Sport with a 24" frame; my buddy has a 22" frame that i test rode, and it fit me, but felt a little cramped. The 24" frame looked too big but i built it anyway, and i'm so glad b/c it's very comfortable and efficient. FYI, I'm 5'11" and prefer a 57cm or 58cm roadbike when it comes to riding "normal" (non-Schwinn) bikes.

Thanks for the tips. Those catalog scans are a great resource. I'm right at 6' 0", so I know I need something a bit bigger. May keep looking.

Back