Question on painting Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. I took apart my huffy cruiser the other day and started sanding the frame, thats all done and ready to go, I just cant decide whether to paint it flat black or there is a satin/flat blue that I think would look real nice too.

Anyways, I want to paint the wheels red like the picture of the wheel on this forum, to anyone whos done this: Did you remove the spokes to sand or did you sand around them? I dont want to paint the spokes and I read about using the straws and whatnot, but im talking about sanding the wheel. Im trying to figure out what would be faster/easier to do. Thanks!

I always remove the spokes to paint a rim.

Sheldon Brown has a how-to on lacing rims.

MagicRat said:
I always remove the spokes to paint a rim.

Sheldon Brown has a how-to on lacing rims.

Me too. I also use Sheldon's how-to.
colored_wheels.jpg

Note: just the first and last rims I painted. The midddle two are powder coated.

I used Sheldon Brown's and Hugo's tutorials to lace the front wheel on my unfinished RRBO bike. Hugo's how -to with photos made some things more clear than Sheldon's.

Go ahead and take the spokes out. It will be worth it. Just follow Sheldon browns tutorial and take lots of pictures before, just in case the lacing pattern is different.
1798459485_194a234f29_b.jpg

Hey thanks everyone.

Just curious did you guys paint the rims with the tires on? Or did you remove them before painting. Im nervous about scratching/messing up my new paint by trying to put the tire on...

id take the tires off, but if your paint is too thin on the edges, manhandlin em will rub the paint off if your just rattlecannin, just go easy and dont force em on, if your really worried, you can put tape on the edges, smack the tire on and then pull the tape off, just make sure the paint is good and dry otherwise yoou may take off more paint with the tape.

or you could just deflate the tires and mask them

I painted mine with the tires off. When i mounted the tires i sprayed down the rim with a soapy water mix to help them slide on without messing up the paint. It seemed to work pretty well.

I've never taken a rim apart to paint, I just tape off the area not being painted
paintedrims.jpg

RUSTY.RAT2.jpg

IMG_0083c.jpg

and yes sanding is vital to good adhesion i use 80 grit on chrome. yes 80 8) 8)

The three sets that I have painted I masked (loosely),sanded well,and sprayed w/ an adhesion product called Bulldog.

Paint the desired color and number of coats. To take care of any scratches from install or riding I just spray the color on to some cardboard and touch up as needed using a Qtip or small artist brush. I am a little leary though about the epoxy paint ,cause if the directions aren't followed exactly regarding recoats the paint will curl because of curing times.

Back