Question: Peanut Butter Odor... NO KIDDING!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old, fairly complete, Huffy cruiser -- brought home for a song!

I immediately noticed lots of water leaking out around the front assembly when loading it in the trunk. I later discovered the front fork was filled with rain water.

As I continued working with the bike, I began noticing an odd smell. I just shrugged my shoulders and began to remove the saddle which I smelled for some reason -- "Hmm, peanut butter?"

I thought that was the end of it, but I've notice the smell coming from other parts of the bike now.

Any thoughts?

Just a guess. Probably ran out of "grease" for the bearings, and used peanut-butter. (actually sounds like a do-able idea) :roll: Maybe I'll try it if I make a "Skippy" bike!

Kota probably isn't too far off!
While cutting down a tree a few years back I ran outta bar lube for my chainsaw. The old geezer who I was doing the work for, told me that anything with an oily texture for provide sufficient lubrication in a pinch. :shock: I went to the store and bought some bar oil anyways! But his advice has always stuck with me.

The other possibility is that kids love to shove everything and anything anywhere they can find a hole or crack! :lol: I've taken grips of hanldebars and watched little plastic armymen fall out. I've also watched the neighbor kid,in amazement, stuff a hotdog into his handlebar so his little brother couldn't eat it. He later pulled it out and was muching on it .... and the rust he dragged out with it! :lol:

Whoever had the bike just probably used it to butter up the seatpost and wasn't stashing his peanut butter supply!
Chainy

Thanks guys!
Yeah -- by the looks of the head bearings I took out of there, I shouldn't be surprised if that were the case :? When I replaced the bearings I packed the donor set with petroleum jelly -- it's just what I had on hand at the time.

It's weird that the smell seems to come from all over the bike. I wonder if there's some kind of odd smelling wax or oil used by the former owner for protecting from the elements.

Chainsaw said:
I've also watched the neighbor kid,in amazement, stuff a hotdog into his handlebar so his little brother couldn't eat it. He later pulled it out and was muching on it .... and the rust he dragged out with it! :lol:

Yeeech!!!
There was a bike I scavenged before where I think someone used vegtable oil where grease belongs. You know how morons will spray WD-40 on the axles, hub, bottom bracket, etc. I think they just dribbled some veggie oil there. It was just a sticky mess & all the bearings were toast. Toast you say? How's about some margarine? I can't belive it's not bearing grease! o.k., I'll stop now...

So Chainy, you're a tree trimmer or a lumberjack? Hence the name...I'm just now catching on....

emanon said:
Chainsaw said:
So Chainy, you're a tree trimmer or a lumberjack? Hence the name...I'm just now catching on....

Yeah I did landscaping most of my life, but I got the "Chainsaw" monicker from showing up at Softball practice carrying my saw and setting it on the bench while I played. The door locks on my truck didn't work and I wasn't about to leave my saw in the bed. Other factors also came into play over the years but Softball was what started it all!

I've heard that peanut butter never really goes bad, so I'd say it beats veg oil hands down for lubing a bike :wink: -- it just doesn't make the bike taste any better!

I figure I can use mineral spirits to get rid of the odor on the metal parts, but I'm not sure what to use on the seat. I can smell it from at least 5 feet away! It's in great shape other than the smell and looks to be some sort of metal leather combo covered with plastic-coated canvas (will include photos later). It is an old Troxel seat. Is there a good leather cleaner that will take out the stink? Are there cleaners I should avoid using?

Go to your local sporting goods store that sells hunting equipment and get a spray bottle of Scent Killer

Back