Quick question please...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this huffy at a pawn shop for 35 bucks. Is there any value in it? I really dont think there is i just really like the retro look of it. Im guessing early 90s? Any help would be awsome. Thanks

There's very little made with the Huffy name on it that has any collector-type value to it, or any appreciable worth at all. I found out a year or two ago that Huffy did make a couple somewhat respectable mountain bikes in the 90's with some decent components on them, but this does not appear to be one of them. Even the good ones were not top of the line, but were comparable to a similar Trek or Giant of the same vintage.

If everything works ok on it and its not too beat up, $35 is not too bad. Its not easy to find something you like that is rideable for much less.

Thanks for the info. Everything works great on it. Only problem is the rear rim, alot of the spokes are super loose. Also the rim has a pretty bad bend in it. You think if i tighten the spokes itll straighten out a little? Ive never messed with spokes before. Thanks again.

IF the rim looks intact but it just has a significant "hop"/wobble to it, you can probably true it up fine by carefully tightening the spokes while balancing out the lateral pull on the rim. If, on the other hand, the rim appears to have been dinged or dented by blunt force, that may explain how the spokes got so loose and you may have trouble getting it trued up sufficiently.

I had a bike on my rear rack when I got rear-ended a few years back. The frame and crank died; most everything else was salvageable, but the rear wheel was messed up pretty badly, too. I took it to a shop with an old-timey owner (Erlton Bikes in Cherry Hill, NJ) and dude had it trued up in no time; the wheel has held up since, too. So, yeah, even if there was trauma to the rim, it's worth a shot. The impact totaled my Honda, but the Sun Rhyno-Lite/Shimano XT/Wheelsmith rear wheel was salvageable. Go figure.

Ive never trued a wheel nore do i have the tool or a shop. So i guess ill just trial and error it. Id like to get a laid back seat post and bmx bars and make it a 24inch bmx bike with gears lol. Thats my goal if i can fix it.

Back