radial lacing a front hub with a disc

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any one done this? Did the spokes stay tight? I like the way the radial lacing looks as that's what it has now but wanting to put a disc on it. I understand that there will be more torque on the hub since the braking force goes through the spokes to the rim etc but on a cruiser think it will be an issue? I'm ordering my spokes soon just wanted yalls opinions.

Ty

Radial lacing is good for forces that push and pull on the spoke ends. A radial laced wheel would come untrue and possible not work past the first ride with a disk brake. Road bike the rear is sometimes radial laced on the non drive side but always crossed on the drive side.

http://www.zipp.com/support/askjosh/spokes.php

I've done radial and 3-cross crow's foot, haven't tried 3 trailing-3 leading yet. All of 'em look cool.

I've seen some cruisers with all the left spokes going the same way, and the right side all going the other way... if the hub's solid, it would look cool and work well.

I have a twisted lace pattern on my fiance's 1968 Schwinn Hollywood and they have held up well so far.

P8050001.jpg

P8050064.jpg

That's cool! Well I took my wheel all apart plunked all the measurements into the calculator and tho my original spokes are 225's and I need 228's I figured it was close enough to try. I got halfway then tried to do the trailling spokes and no dice about 6-8 mm short :( I'm guessing that's due to 3mm off each spoke is 6 in total. I've read that you usually need spokes a few mm longer then a standard 3 cross? Guess new spokes it is :)

Tychevelle said:
I've read that you usually need spokes a few mm longer then a standard 3 cross?

not in my experience, nor according to this website.....

http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/

i urge you to try again, but screw the nipples on just a turn or two until all the spokes and nipples are in place

good luck

Back