raleigh chopper from the dump

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to pay the junk guy just to take it out of the scrap pile...needs way more love than i have :?
the white paint saved the chrome..handle bars are bent and the forks are bent in

Looks like it would clean up great! Just break it down to it's pieces and clean one thing at a time. You can do it!

you+can+do+it.jpg

Ive always wanted one of those, they are fun to ride. sweet ride though.

zigzagsworld said:
ive always wanted one for my daughter to ride...i have to tore down and trying to figure it out
If you get stuck on anything and need help, advise, or anything else just post about it and our on site experts will walk you through it.

What idiot dumped paint on that?! What bigger idiot tried to crush it for scrap is another matter. You got a nice save there for sure! With the paint mess everywhere and the bent bars/fork...I would say just strip it all down and restore it. 8)

Looks like house paint, if it is it should lift off pretty easy. On the seat just bend the fabric and it should crack and peel right off. If it does you're good.

Another thing to try, air the tires and ride it down to your local coin car wash. Hit it with some high pressure water and see what happens, since it probably was not prepped in any way it might just power wash right off. Then ride your nice clean choppa home. :mrgreen:

zigzagsworld said:
its oil based house paint :( if it was latex base it would come off with ease .... but at least the chrome looks very clean
Oh ouch, yeah latex base would be a breeze to get off, oil base will require a little finesse to get off without damaging the paint underneath. Of these I would stay away from the turpentine, mineral spirits, and paint thinner methods because it may damage paint underneath.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4855160_remove- ... paint.html

I bought a 1971 Datsun 510 that was spraybombed camoflage with rattlecans. The thing that did the trick was Acetone and scotchbrite pads. It took off the spraypaint and did not hurt the original paint underneath. Not that the original paint was pretty, but we call that patina!

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0251-1.jpg

Also tried some stuff called Spray Paint remover, but don't think it was any better than Acetone.

IMG_4503.jpg

70's Japanese car w/ 70's Japanese bicycle! Now I need a roof rack.
Datsun_510_Chapman5Yamaha.jpg

Nice old Datsun! A buddy of mine back in high school had a Datsun 280Z I always tried to talk him out of but he'd never sell it.

DATSUN 510 is one of my favorite cars ...what inbreed redneck painted that camo ! i will give your tip a try but this isnt spray paint and this paint was spilled down the bike so its on very thick in places .thanks for the tip and if u wanna trade the chopper for the 510 just say the word :p

zigzagsworld said:
DATSUN 510 is one of my favorite cars ...what inbreed redneck painted that camo ! i will give your tip a try but this isnt spray paint and this paint was spilled down the bike so its on very thick in places .thanks for the tip and if u wanna trade the chopper for the 510 just say the word :p

Heh, We have a lot in common then! These 510's are getting rare, especially on the East Coast. I won't be selling mine for a long time, though I did just sell my 521 Datsun pick-up. I also have a 1959 Datsun if you can believe that!

I am a moderator at Ratsun.net and I am also the resident artist there cause I like to draw/paint datsuns!
Datsun510StreetFighter.jpg

zigzagsworld said:
what inbreed redneck painted that camo ! and if u wanna trade the chopper for the 510 just say the word :p

Hey now it's only inbreeding if it's yer first cousin... she was my third cousin which is legal in Arkansas so get off me... :lol:

Seriously though if you were local to Indiana I'd trade you out of that bike in a heartbeat. It'd look nice next to my Ross Apollo and my Western Flyer Fast One.

Nice score !

Agree that it should clean up - just someone dumped paint on it then decided to take to the dump , might not even be real old paint.

If you decide to part it, let me know, need a few bits for my own Chopper.

i have it tore down and chrome on the fenders,crank,sissy bar and rims looks brand new...what parts are u looking i really have figured out what i wanna do if this white dont come off

specifically, need a chianguard. also the lever and knob for the shifter ( I have a nice cover, but the lever weas rusted solid and borken by prior attempt to loose it, I have it loose, but need a stick ).
also need a pair of grips. maybe some other hardware or some brake parts, not out in the shop for a few weeks due to my apedix deciding to depart this world .
lmk what you have. trying to hunt up pcs, then build her up.

That 510 brings back memories from high school, kicking around my hometown with my buddies. That car stunk like dirty feet and the empty glass bottles rattling around in the trunk.........

Good times, good times.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back