THE RICKPAULOS COLLECTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whaddya mean it doesn't have brakes?
3847090235_2c7d902e09_b.jpg

That is scary for all the right reasons

Shimano Nexus 8 hub
Aluminum frame & fork
Very flexible seat post (not good).
Replace the bars (with black) and bent brake levers.
I adjusted the shifter, aired up the tires, cleaned a layer of scum off it.
The front brake squeals like mad. I cleaned and regreased the brakes, filed the pads but it's even worse. The v-brakes have a plastic pivot sleeve that may be the issue. Next up is to replace the brakes with another model. Black would look better. Shortened the brake cables.
Frame is rather short.
Rides slow.
2011 model year.

Raleigh.Circa.i8.JPG

Did I mention the front brakes squeal like mad. First was a clean and lube, that made it worse. Then I replaced the brake arms. Same brand but a different model. Still squeals under moderate to heavy braking. Today I replaced the threaded in brake studs on the aluminum fork with a bunch of anti-seize on the threads and a heavier stickier grease on the posts. No more squealing.

Still needs a better seat post. This one has so much flex. Will make the tday trip for a mid day cruise along the Mississippi.

no brakes. Takes U style for the back wheel. Will try some polishing compound on the faded red to see if it will come back. I had a red Toyota long ago that faded like this. Hum, what year did Mongoose start?

Mongoose.Villain.25th.Anniversary.ACL8G05537 (1).JPG
Mongoose.Villain.25th.Anniversary.ACL8G05537 (4).JPG

No luck on the faded paint. My polishing compound didn't touch it. No red on the white rag. Looks like the clear coat wasn't a uv blocker. No rust to speak of but why faded? Bikes left out doors here over a winter get pretty rusty in a hurry.

The headset was buggered. Top race was upside down and on top of the spacers. And the top cup was severely pitted. I had one so in my parts bins so I replaced that. The bottom race just has the paint worn off so barely touched in 25 years.

Rear axle was nearly locked up. One lock nut loose. Looked like original grease in there. The 14mm axle is slightly bent on one end. 3/16" bearings in there. 12 on each side. Nearly no wear on the cones.

Kenda Komfort tires. Surely not stock. Decent tires anyhow.

1999 should predate the Pacific ownership of Mongoose. There is a made in Taiwan decal on it.

Ha. thanks. I had not looked that close.

2 level clamp
the bolted clamp has a spacer in the center to prevent the bolt from squeezing on the seat post, it just holds the seat to the clamp
the lever clamp holds the clamp to the seat post.

I'm guessing this allows yo to remove the seat but not the seat post without tools. Not really a theft deterrent.
It won't let you adjust the height of the seat.

IMG_6061.JPG
IMG_6062.JPG
IMG_6063.JPG

2 level clamp
the bolted clamp has a spacer in the center to prevent the bolt from squeezing on the seat post, it just holds the seat to the clamp
the lever clamp holds the clamp to the seat post.

I'm guessing this allows yo to remove the seat but not the seat post without tools. Not really a theft deterrent.
It won't let you adjust the height of the seat.

View attachment 254364View attachment 254365View attachment 254366
Put your favorite seat on any of your bikes, mind you if you leave your bike on the back of your car or camper removing the seat might be a little deterent

I see a benefit for someone who locks up their bike in a public location. They often have to remove the seat so it doesn't get stolen. If the bike is locked, through the wheels and frame, this leaves the seat vulnerable. It allows you to remove and reattach the seat at the same position. Having the QR on the post means that you have to re set the seat height every time. That's my theory

I ju
I see a benefit for someone who locks up their bike in a public location. They often have to remove the seat so it doesn't get stolen. If the bike is locked, through the wheels and frame, this leaves the seat vulnerable. It allows you to remove and reattach the seat at the same position. Having the QR on the post means that you have to re set the seat height every time. That's my theory
I just use 10 foot cabling off a Battleship that runs through all removable parts

original star grips. There are plenty of repops on ebay.

IMG_6503.JPG

Back