Raleigh- twin bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone at work gave me this today, for free! I know absolutely nothing about Raleigh bicycles. It's a 3 spd, brakes have "rods", 28 inch rims. Brakes pull "up" into the rims, I guess this is normal for Raleighs. Brooks saddle. Don't know the year it is. I looked on Old Roads site, didn't find anything about it. Anybody know Raleighs. Don't know WHAT I'm going to do with it!

003-3-1.jpg

004-2-1.jpg

005-1-1.jpg

001-4-1.jpg

002-3-1.jpg

006-2-1.jpg

The rear hub has 72 3 on it, March of 1972 is the date of manufacture of the hub and most likely the frame also. The frame looks like it may have been made for the Asian or overseas market. I don't remember seeing that style of frame in North American market. The rod brakes have been used since the teens in England. I have 2 bikes with them. The brakes are far from great especially with chrome steel rims. The frame has a great looking style. Nice find.

oldy57 said:
The rear hub has 72 3 on it, March of 1972 is the date of manufacture of the hub and most likely the frame also. The frame looks like it may have been made for the Asian or overseas market. I don't remember seeing that style of frame in North American market. The rod brakes have been used since the teens in England. I have 2 bikes with them. The brakes are far from great especially with chrome steel rims. The frame has a great looking style. Nice find.

Thanks for the info! The brakes work, but I can still push the bike. I would hate to be going fast, and depending on them. The guy that gave it to me said his father picked it up at a flea market a few years ago. There are small "hand painted" number 14(s) in a couple of places. He said his father told him that it was a rental somewhere. Again, thanks for the info. :D

look thru seldon browns stuff, he has a lot of good info on these bike. i got some great info for my superbe from his stuff. yep, would love to have that one too.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

my lbs has a grey raleigh tourist, same brakes / hub, and its a 74 i think. i havent seen the guys version but if i had to guess id say it would look like yours, oh and its got 28" tires on it.

oldy57 said:
OOOOOPS! I missed that... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks, guys, for all the info, but,..........Someone bought it today! Thanks again!

Looked up serial number on "sheldon's" site (H1043). That would indicate that it is a early 73, that still used a 72 hub. But gave no info on the twin bars..........Besides it's "The Flying Dingo's"problem now! :roll:

KOTA said:
Looked up serial number on "sheldon's" site (H1043). That would indicate that it is a early 73, that still used a 72 hub. But gave no info on the twin bars..........Besides it's "The Flying Dingo's"problem now! :roll:
The hub is almost always last year's.

Back