Rat Monkey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the weather was great today so I deciced to start my build I started with an old Hawthorne ( see questions from kansas in intros ) I first took off goose neck and front fork then wheels then the fun started... the screws and bolts holding the fenders and chain gaurd on are rusted together I sprayed them with wd 40 and then started looking at the rest of the bike the more I am around this thing the more I am liking it the fenders and chaingaurd are completely intact even the little tab on the front of the rear fender that is used to adjust is there I found some numbers finally they were on the seatpost clamp they are 9H 08262 I am assuming this is serial number the hubs are stamped New Departure and so is coaster brake arm ??? any info, the bad news is the chain is probably shot though but the sprockets and cranks are good ( skiptooth ) pedals and seat are also shot which is ok as I probably wasnt gonna use them anyway the fork is in really good shape too my plans include replacing 24" front with 26" fork and wheel and also replacing hubs with nexxus and putting drum brake or disk on front with rear roller brake I want to alter rear sprocket to accept nexxus hub the tires are shot wich is fine as I am going to replace with hookworms or similiar a couple of questions
1. can you tell me the year and should I be tearing this thing up ???
2. are these hubs worth anything ?? as I might be willing to trade them and or rims ( good, heavy, straight ) for a nice light

The hub is probably a New Departure model D, if the chrome is in good shape its worth a few bucks all by itself. There are some onebay... but keep in mind those are "asking" prices. If the original wheelset is still in good shape, I think I would leave them alone, and either keep them for a future project or sell them off to fund the new parts. Definetly worth more as a set.

Im sure you could find a matching set of rims to lace the new hubs into, plus if you go to the pay it forward section, there is a guy on there offering free spokes and nipples for shipping cost.

Ive got a spare ND skiptooth sprocket if you need one for modification purposes. might even have a set of rims.

SAVE that chain!! have it blasted, then soak it for awhile in transmission fluid, then work each link to bring it back to life.

Sorry I cant help as far as figuring out what year your bike is, If your lucky Phil will hop in here and clus us all in. But as far as modifications... its your bike, make it how you want.

The original seat... you may be surprised at what people are willing to pay for an old seat, just saying.

Pictures would also help identify what you got going on. have fun with it!

the wheels are whole and not too bad of shape the chrome on these are in good shape as they have hub polishers on them how do I check to see if they are model D's didnt do anything with chain yet thought I would remove it then soak it in wd 40 already it is loosening up a bit

the Hub should be marked on the shell, like this...

DSC_0123.jpg

Good deal on the chain, a good wire brushing also helps. I know replacement skiptooth chain is getting expensive, so If it can be saved, you just saved yourself about $30

I will look it over I am pretty sure this is it though I took some picts today but it is taking forever for them to load on photobucket I will try to post them later I am thinking chain is just gunk crusted as its starting to loosen up I am thinking that I am going to find some triple trees and maybe I will just rebuild these hubs and keep them and the wheels for spares

man it is amazing how fast spare parts start stacking up

I counted 28 spokes I dont know if this matters

Back