Rat / Rod Model Kit Bash Challenge 2023

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Power Plant is only part being used from : the willys kit .
20230925_085529.jpg

Last edited:
My kit came in if it is allowed. Diecast, plastic and rubber.
View attachment 249133
This is going to look rough, I am just shaping it. I glued and filled another bar in the diamond frame to make it a twin bar. Now I have to shape and finish the added aluminum bar. I was going to solder it in and learned than pot metal melts before solder. (Good thing I checked.)
20231002_144549.jpg

Working on using JB Weld and automotive spot putty to make a leather helmet. If I fail I've got more skeletons. This is nothing but the epoxy and putty so far.

20231002_145300.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to look rough, I am just shaping it. I glued and filled another bar in the diamond frame to make it a twin bar. Now I have to shape and finish the added aluminum bar. I was going to solder it in and learned than pot metal melts before solder. (Good thing I checked.)
View attachment 249497

Working on using JB Weld and automotive spot putty to make a leather helmet. If I fail I've got more skeletons. This is nothing but the epoxy and putty so far.
The frame is getting closer. I've got other frame mods coming.
20231003_115543.jpg

Working on this flexible plastic is an unknown. The JB Weld and spot putty seems to be adhering. The rider is getting closer. I plan to pose it using heat.

20231003_115520.jpg

Spent the last couple of days devising truss rods. From L-R. First attempt scratch built, would have to be epoxy globed to the forks at the bottom. Second attempt. a piece of an electrical shoe terminal using the rolled pieces to hold two fender supports with eyes, too narrow. Third attempt, scratch built replicating the axle eyes on the fender braces. Success!!
20231007_083718.jpg

20231007_083732.jpg

Went to ACE and got a 5/16" compression fitting to fabricate a stem. Hammered out the top stem part from a #12 ground wire. Soldered up it came out good. I am not going to use the original bars as shown (too many doodads on them), the stem is integral to those bars, that is why I needed to build a stem. Now I'll fabricate some bars.

20231007_154145.jpg

Progress to date, still will be smoothing out the solder joints with a file and spot putty.

20231007_154212.jpg

Formed a set of flipped track bars from 1/8" copper rod, the grips are heat shrink tubing. Also made a tank with the ends soldered up from 5/16" copper tubing. Also, it came with chrome Philips head machine screws with a nut on one end. They were not full threaded and were too long. Using 2-56 threaded rod and nuts I made stainless steel axle sets nutted on both ends. Right now one end needs trimmed on the axles. That is how I know which end to start the nuts on.

20231010_110319.jpg

Back