Rat Tri bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I was realizing today that I miss Triathlons. My $2+k race bike was stolen out of my garage some years ago and I was never able to replace it. All I've had is a cruiser. I plan on rebuilding the cruiser to make it awesome, but I can't get out and really pound miles like I could on my road bike.

So... in the spirit of RRB, I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a ratty Triathlon/Time Trial bike? The geometry is very steep, and I don't know how "new" that is. I wouldn't want to be "competitive, so to speak, but I'd need to be able to go fast.

Frame recommendations? Previous RRB "Tri" builds? My searching came up with nada.

One idea might be to put a finish on your components that looks like brass. it would provide a steampunk appearance. Plenty of used tri bikes on craigslist at a modest price from builders like Fuji and KHS. Sure would be great to get a deal on a Griffen, though.

C'mon, Graeme Obree built his world record Sprint bike out of washing machine parts. Sounds ratty to me.

:mrgreen:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

obree-bike-scotland.jpg

I was thinking about using one of my rats and enter my first tri next weekend! Not quite what you were thinking though I'm sure. Sure would be funny to get a pic of the transition area with my bike sitting there :D
BTW, I changed my mind when I saw the course and the hills. :shock:

It better be rediculously super ultra light weight or the roadies will never accept you into there culture. :lol:

Roadies can kiss my rear end. (Before they pass me). I like to do Tri's to push myself, not to be competitive. I kill in the water, and could do better than most on the bike. It's the run that I get clobbered. :?

I can tell you all from experience that using a cruiser, even as a joke, does a lot more harm to you than anyone else. It just sucks all the go juice out of you. So, I'd like something relatively fast and efficient, but has a cool ratty look, rather than a sponsored racing look.

I was really hoping someone on here had done something for inspiration, but if I have to be the first, so be it. First stop, CL.

Actually, first stop is work, to earn the money. :D

There are posts for skinny tire rats throughout this forum. You may be able to combine their ideas with your light weight frame and components to make a speedy rat that will better turn your energy into speed. It's worth a search.
I thought Obree trained on the bike with washing machine parts and set the record with the bike provided by Specialized. I'll have to rewatch the "Flying Scot". Being from Kannapolis, I suspect the Capt knows his racing history well.

I would just collect parts from EBay or CL and do the usual flat black frame, red rims looks. Top it off with white high end tires. I could probably build a competitive racing bike for under $500.

wheelbender6 said:
There are posts for skinny tire rats throughout this forum. You may be able to combine their ideas with your light weight frame and components to make a speedy rat that will better turn your energy into speed. It's worth a search.
I thought Obree trained on the bike with washing machine parts and set the record with the bike provided by Specialized. I'll have to rewatch the "Flying Scot". Being from Kannapolis, I suspect the Capt knows his racing history well.

He tried with the Specialized bike but settled on a mix of Old Reliable with the high end Specialized components.

Nice Kannapolis reference BTW. Keen eye.

I've been kicking this idea around myself for some time. Finding a cool steel frame for a basis on this would be pretty simple, and I do have a few frames hanging on the wall that are candidates for the task. I've just been waiting around for a curvy aluminum frame with 1 1/8" headset to fall into my possession, then it will happen. :lol:

Van Dessel makes some curvy aluminum frames. Maybe that's a good place to start.
Mrazek produced some curvy frames but sellers want a mint for them now.

I need to see more pics of it so that i can make some choice out of it...I needed for racing and i want everything perfect..Is it a good deal to assemble all the parts rather than going for readily available one????

I had sold all my road bikes to clear out some garage space and now you guys have me wanting one again.

Back