Rat truck trike build!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the sight with a newer build it's been going on for about 2 to 3 week now. So thought it would be fun to join in on the build off.

About a month ago I was at a little bike shop around me and seen this rusty gem and thought it would make a fun build
1950s huffy tandem with a 3speed ret bar conversion
Got an amazing deal on it since they didn't know what it was and it was rusty.
But most of the metal is workable.
have a few ideas what I was to do one is going to be building an old school truck bed.
Chopped up and getting an idea of the layout.

it's going to be one long trike.
Bottom main tube all welded in. It's a beefy tube so no bending with the extra length

Another bike I've been working on on the right.

This is where I'm at now just waiting for the wheels they will be done today
Tractor style seat all welded on and found a meat grinder and used the Handel as the shifter. Still lots more work to do. But not it's the easy stuff.
Later today I will post more pictures up as the roller. And I'll be taking it out for its first ride

Going to pick up the rear wheels today

Last edited:
Welcome to RRB and the Build Off!
That tandem should make a great platform for a limo stretch truck!

Don't forget to put your pin in the BONINE WORLD MAP
http://bit.ly/1nsYqVU
Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Welcome to RRB and the Build Off.
That's a very unique project and I really like the direction you're starting off in.:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. And it's been a fun project so far.
The rear wheels were a little tricky since the hubs are different then any one has seen around here. But managed to get them laced and they came out great.
Got the wheels on and took it for a ride and it drives great
Here's a quick pic

from tip of the front tire to the rear tires it's just under 9ft it's a long one lol

I started on the bed with my brother so more pictures to come a little later tonight or tomorrow lol

Welcome to the jungle!! Nice start and wicked bike.

Thanks.
And yeah its different

I have some updates. Worked pretty late last night and got the frame of the bed done and then today got the inside of the bed covered in some old wood still need to get some sheet metal to cover the outside

Here's the frame of the bed.
Then here's the inside covered in wood

Still need to add some bolts to the bottom of the bed. And also got the tailgate pretty much mounted. Still need to add a chain to one side.
The tailgate is going to me covered with a louverd panel

Very cool grocery getter!:cool2:
It must be pretty heavy, what do you have in mind for brakes?

Yes it's very heavy so far lol. But the way they gearing is set up. You can't even tell.
I'll have to weight it to see how much it weights tho
And right now I just have a front brake I'm trying to get the picture uploaded.
But the brake is a drum style brake I found on a schwinn scooter it actually stops it pretty good

Here's a picture of the front brake set up.
Here's the meat grinder shifter handle
And some parts I've been collecting from harbor fright online and the flea market that will be going on the bike.
I have 2 other hood ornaments that aren't pictured not sure what one I'm going to put on.

Looking sharp!
Love the shifter handle and the drum brake.

Thanks.
And yeah its different

I have some updates. Worked pretty late last night and got the frame of the bed done and then today got the inside of the bed covered in some old wood still need to get some sheet metal to cover the outside

Here's the frame of the bed.
Then here's the inside covered in wood

Still need to add some bolts to the bottom of the bed. And also got the tailgate pretty much mounted. Still need to add a chain to one side.
The tailgate is going to me covered with a louverd panel
Good lookin wood

"The enassancesc, post: 830986, member: 16745"]Very cool grocery getter!:cool2:
It must be fairly heavy, what do you have in mind for brakes?

You got me wondering what it weighed so I brought out the scale and this is what I seen

116.6 lbs. I was a little shocked lol

Back