Ratios

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what ratio to use on my klunker build...

Single speed coaster brake.

Trying to figure out front tooth number...
Was thinking 40 or 42.
There are plenty of hills here, but I don't want to spin out too quickly on flats...

What ratios do you like?
Thanks,
oct

42/20 or 42/18 are fairly easy to get around with hills and wont leave you pedaling like mad and barely moving. I prefer 52/16 myself, but I live in the valley(FLAT). I also got lazy and started running that combo on a nexus 3 for my daily rider.

Here's one of my dirty secrets: I never pay attention to the ratio on my builds. I just put on the rear I want, and put on the chainring I want. It is what it is, at that point. I mean, if it's really too difficult or too easy to pedal, I'll switch something out, but otherwise, I figure it came together as it was meant to be.

I am a gearing weenie, it has to be right!
I usually run 36/16 but on some bigger rings are in order.
46/20 and 48/19 are 2 other bikes I have.

Will you actually be riding off-road?

Yes!
I built it as a woods bike, but it will be multi purpose...
We have a paved bike path, and the national park here, has 45 miles of carriage trails, that are packed dirt roads...

Mostly I'm trying to decide on the front sprocket, because I need to buy one, I can change the rear cog easily to adjust the ratio...
I'm leaning towards a 42t front...

The usual Singlespeed off-road ratio-- the "standard" ratio for SS 26s-- was always a 2:1, which is about 52 gear-inches. For klunkie builds based on industrial bikes like your SHD, I think it's best too err on lower side, as they can be heavy. Of course, i'm heavy myself so, as always, YMMV.

Another consideration, if you're still trying to decide on the front ring, is clearance. You're less likely to buzzsaw a log when you're hopping/klunking/lugging over it if you have a smaller front sprocket. So, here'd be a benefit to going small in the front and then fining your 50" gear off of that. The drawback, of course, is that it won't look as cool as a 42 or 44t front sprocket. (BITD, when I first started riding SS mtbs, the typical set-ups were 32x16t. I ran that, or sometimes a 32x17t. When I rode a 29" wheeled SS, I went 32x19t to make up for the larger final drive...)

I'm currently building a bike for trails which will be set up with a 42x22, which comes out to a theoretical 49.6" gear. I'm not worried about chainwheel clearance, but then again, my frame is a 26 and has a pretty high BB...

ps- fwiw, my SS cruisers for the street tend to run 44x18 or 44x19t. Lower gearing helps offroad, where you're more likely to encounter bumps, short-n-steeps, loose surfaces, etc....

Back