Rattus Board Trackus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

That is awesome! I love your understated explanations. "...after a little scraping, filing, and sanding." There was a lot of thought, design, and craftsmanship put into this bike. I don't see a single part of the "donor bike" that made it through the process unmodified. Beautiful job. The rust and shellac is the perfect touch. I think I would take some sandpaper and scuff up (or remove) the logos from the tires too.

John

Wow, that is amazing. 2 questions/comments:

1: Are you the bloke who built this?
stevejboardtracker3B.jpg

2: I've never seen a 10 speed frame with a US BB shell in Australia before. BMX and cheapo MTB bikes yes, 10 speed/racer frames no. Was that a decision you made, or was it just fate? (Or is that indeed an MTB frame that I'm seeing as a 10 speed?)

Lets see some video of that thing flyin down the road!!!!!

Yes, I'll confess, the 'Thor' bike is one of mine.

The frame is a MTB, just one of the '90's cheapo that is easy to find on the hard rubbish. I keep an eye out for these when trawling the streets. They usually have the one piece cranks with a triple sprocket, I chop'em up to get the small front sprocket. The wheels also came from the same bike, those heavy duty 26 x 2.125 steel rims, 12g spokes and just the right amount of patina, the rear I re-spoked with a Sachs torpedo coaster hub.

Yeah, the writing on the tyres is a bit out of place and a the tank needs a name, just haven't decided on one yet.

cheers
Steve

Whats the "lawn mower engine" in the thor? Id like to use that instead of a happy time when i do my boardtrack.

nice trackus really liken the killer patiena , im inspired thanx 4 sharin . GETTIN TOO WORK ON MINE RIGHT NOW!!!

A.S. BOLTNUT

haha i knew it!! as soon as i saw this i was thinking "i bet the same guy that built that thor bike made this" great job!

wow that one fooled me i was not sure if that was a vintage bike or a new one, thor i mean. awsome work i gotta do me one of those but what engine did you use on thor?

Great boardtrackers. I've seen your other build on a website somewhere. I particularly love the killer brazing work. Normally I'm not a huge fan of simulated patina but it really works on these bikes!

Hey All,

the motor in the 'Thor' is from an Australian Victa. they used variations of this motor from the 50's through to the early 70's, I like the cast carby and simple lines of this motor. It took a lot of work to to fit it to the bike, I cut down the crank and re threaded the crank ends, removed the magneto/flywheel and trimmed down the crank case to make the motor narrower. I put a crank triggered electronic ignition unit on it, which is hidden in the alloy crank case cover that I also made. Other than that it bolts up easily. These motors come up on E-bay.com.au fairly regularly.

This is a Victa 125cc as they come other than that I've machined of the cooling fan blades from the magneto/flywheel

victa.jpg

victa1.jpg

victa2.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

that is amazing i have never seen one of those engines. i have a 2 1/2 hp brigs i wonder what it would look like if i removed the shroud and machined down the flywheel like that? well that and it might overheat but oh well just means you have to go faster :D

nice job Steve...i knew it was yours. once again you've done a amazing job and the bike looks
like you found it in the shed outback! i liked it so much i wanted to buy it...but no cash at the moment!
can't wait to see the next one.

I'm so jealous. There's no point building anything like this in the UK unless you are prepared to jump through a whole bunch of legal hoops like full lights and indicators, registration/number plates, type approval etc. :cry:

Hey Hillbilly, have you noticed any troubles/performance with your clutch since you cut out part of the casing for chain clearance? I'm having some minor clearance issues with mine and was thinking of doing the same cut out.

Thanks again for your work!
-Kevin

Back