Re: Black Diamond = MIDNITE DIAMOND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm spending the summer holidays close to my family in Northern Germany. I needed something to get me around so I start asking if anyone knows of a bike that is for sale CHEAP. My brothers wife told me that there is still the old bike of her father and that i can have it for free if I want it -GREAT, so I looked in the shed and there it was in all it's glory:

P6240317.jpg

P6240318.jpg

P6240319.jpg

oh wow, there is something seriously wrong with that bike, hmm but it makes a good base i guess. It's a 28" diamond frame from some German no-name brand. It's got a Sachs 3-speed which goes back on the bike. After looking at it for a while I had a vague idea to build something out of it roughly in the style of a 30's-40's track racer or a Pashley Guv'nor.

I started stripping the bike and stumbled upon unsightly things like these fender/rack eyelets:

P6240326.jpg

or the dynamo bracket:

P6240327.jpg

and also (yes, I only remembered to take a pic once I had it removed) that thing:

P6240328.jpg

the tirepump thingis also went!

I made good progress in the last two days, smoothed out a lot of bumps where brackets where removed and started to weld in another nicer looking rear frame brace bent from a solid steel rod:

P6250329.jpg

P6250334.jpg

Later I used bondo to smooth out the pidgeon poo welds, a trick I learned from the TV show American Hot Rod (remind me never to buy a Coddington Hot Rod, not that it's my style anyway)

This is the brace already primered

P6250335-1.jpg

and here are frame and fork sans brackets and eyelets in primer

P6250336.jpg

P6250337-1.jpg

Further plans are:

-beige Holland bike tires for the wheels
-different handlebars
-maybe different saddle (haven't decided yet on the colour of saddle and handle, have to see what I can get)
-spray the frame black (just because my Dad still has two large rattlecans of black flying around, otherwise I might have gone for a metallic dark red)

That's it for now, I'm moving fast on this build, mainly because I wanna get out and ride as soon as possible. So tomorrow hopefully I should have pics of the painted frame, we'll see!

Re: Black Diamond

Great start & lots of progress so far! Good luck on your build, Really cool! 8)

Welcome to the site!

Haha, thank you :D ! I love these bikes and I love this messageboard!

And what could be a better start to this forum than a nice little project! To be able to enter it in the build off is a cool bonus. Good luck to everyone and keep on rollin'!!

Peatbog said:
That is a nice looking frame. Dark metallic red would look very good I think.

Yeah, I know, dark metallic red would have been the bees knees!. But black was readily available and black it is!

After a day of sanding, spraying, waiting, sanding more and spraying more I present you the outcome of my work:

P6270339.jpg

P6270340.jpg

P6270341.jpg

P6270342.jpg

As you can see I left the top of the forks (crown?) silver, i hope it doesn't look too goofy once the bike is assembled again. I also filled in the pattern on the chaincover and painted that black too. I am not too sure if I actually use it on the bike, if then it surely needs some kinda scalloop or pinstriping on it.
Gonna go to a second hand market this weekend, hopefully they have got some nice stuff there for the bike although I won't clutter too much as I like bikes with a clean and lean style.

I hope i can get you some more updates soon, definitely after the weekend. I have to wait for a while with the assembly anyway to let the paint harden properly.

Yeah, I just stumbled upon your name when you replied to a different thread. My face was like :shock: :shock: :shock: and then :lol:

That must one heavy a.s.s. frame!!!!!

Hey Kingfish, that frame is actually not very heavy. I don't really have a scale here but I can tell you that it is A LOT lighter than my Columbia cantilever frame.

Anyway, went to the big city this weekend and got some parts plus a beautiful Brooks saddle from a Craigslist equivalent. Dunno yet if I actually bother to put lights on the bike or not but still they are pretty cool!

P7030352.jpg

Started tonight to put the bike together for a first mock up with saddle and upside down mustache handlebar

Enjoy:
P7030353.jpg

P7030355.jpg

Pretty stoked now to ride this thing 8)

Thank you Coaster!

I need a longer stem now. Test sat on it and the handlebars are too close but here's an update nevertheless :D :

P7050360.jpg

Already working on it again, too. Soon there will be another update, hopefully with a bike that is not finished but ready to ride!

blackdiamond said:
Weird...those are the same bars mine blackdiamand has.... :?: :D

So it must be a good idea!

Yeah, those bars look so natural on the bike!

You got any pics of your bike somewhere? I looked but couldn't find any.

Your bike is lookin good! Can't go wrong with Black! 8)

Classy build!

The bike is kinda finished now, that means that I enjoy riding it so much that all the little things that are not really necessary have to wait. I changed the name after I installed the metalflake blue grips, now it reminds me of a night sky with stars :D . All black and blue and a little sparkly, Please find the final pictures in the finished bikes thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43716

Thank you all, this place is very cool and inspiring!!!

Back