Rear deraileur/grip shift compatability

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I am building a mountain bike based commuter but am planning to add a suicide shifter. I know most people do this with geared hubs, but I'm planning to run a reasonably new LX rear deraileur and 8 speed cassette, being that it is a mountain bike at heart and I picked these parts up cheap. My question is can I run any shimano 8 speed grip shift (converted to suicide)? How do I know if the indexing is compatable? Thanks for your help!!

Kyle

Hey guys I am building a mountain bike based commuter but am planning to add a suicide shifter. I know most people do this with geared hubs, but I'm planning to run a reasonably new LX rear deraileur and 8 speed cassette, being that it is a mountain bike at heart and I picked these parts up cheap. My question is can I run any shimano 8 speed grip shift (converted to suicide)? How do I know if the indexing is compatable? Thanks for your help!!

Kyle
Sram had two versions of Gripshift - ESP and Attack. The Attack series were made to work with Shimano derrailluers.

edit - and they're still made!

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-attack-twist-shifter

SpeedsRear: 9/8 Index
Compatibility2:1 Shimano®, SRAM, Shimano® front derailleurs, Shimano® rear derailleurs
Technology Highlight(s)SRS Technology for light and precise indexing
FinishPainted Silver
MaterialGrilon®
ColorsSilver

Last edited:
IRMB is right about the SRAM Attack shifter; I just wanted to add that SRAM's MRX Shifters are also Shimano compatible. You'll want to look for the 8speed versions, to match the cassette you got. The LX rear derailer will almost certainly work, unless it's a 10speed "Dyna-Sys" version.... but 10speed LX wasn't officially imported to the US market anyway (they have'm in Europe, though, and you might find some grey-market versions. They sell them on Niagaracycle, for instance...) Basically, any LX rear Derailer with a 500-series number on it (eg, m571) will work, as will a 660. 670s are tenspeed and, hence, incompatible.

Basically, if it's a 7-, 8-, or 9-speed Shimano Rear Derailer, it'll index perfectly with an 8speed cassette and 8speed SRAM Attack or MRX gripshifters.

You guys know your stuff, thanks for the recommendations!! My LX rear is a m5something so should work great with the shifters you guys mentioned. Will pick one up off ebay. Still kind of worried about my cable routing, but will make it work...ground the cable guides off the top tube last night. I was planning to leave the two on the seat stay and use them, but we'll see how it works out.

In other news, whats a decent cheap chain that I can slap on there?

Still just doing "body work" on the frame for now, but parts are starting to come in. Will post a build thread when it comes to fruition!

Back