Rear hub replacement question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shimano nexus 3 speed rear hub on my electric Ruff Tango bike broke. I think I want to just replace the hub with a single speed hub to keep it simple, but I am unsure of what hub to order off Amazon or eBay that would work. My rear dropouts are 135 mm wide. I don’t need a coaster brake. 36 h rim.Can anyone suggest or direct me to the proper hub to order? once I get a hub I will have a local bike shop build the wheel for me. Suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
I assume it’s a single speed? 135mm spacing and the 36 holes is all that really matters if you don’t have brakes or gears. I would get one with a freewheel instead of cassette.

The bike shop will need the new hub and the old rim in order to calculate the spoke length.

It’s often cheaper for a bike shop to order a whole new wheel than rebuild an old one.

I would be happy to build it for you, but looks like you are in Canada and shipping would kill it.

Just realized you said it was electric. I don’t think that affects the hub though. Could be wrong.

I assume it’s a single speed? 135mm spacing and the 36 holes is all that really matters if you don’t have brakes or gears. I would get one with a freewheel instead of cassette.

The bike shop will need the new hub and the old rim in order to calculate the spoke length.

It’s often cheaper for a bike shop to order a whole new wheel than rebuild an old one.

I would be happy to build it for you, but looks like you are in Canada and shipping would kill it.

Just realized you said it was electric. I don’t think that affects the hub though. Could be wrong.
Would these parts work?

Attachments

• IMG_3691.png
    IMG_3691.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3692.png
    IMG_3692.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Yes, but I don’t recommend that freewheel. It doesn’t have notches for a freewheel tool. You can install a freewheel without a tool, but if you ever want to remove it you need a tool that matches. You will never be able to remove the one you pictured.

You would be better off with something like this.
IMG_3547.png

Also. Freewheels come in a BMX size that you do not want. They aren’t always labeled well. You want one with 34mm threading like in the picture.

Also, I do NOT recommend getting spokes from Amazon. They have a couple generic brands and I have bought them about 8 times. They are inexpensive and convenient (About $12 bucks USD for 36 spokes and nipples. Arrive in 2 days). I was burnt twice. Once I got a spoke that was 4mm too short and once I got defective nipples that stripped. Never again.

Either get name brand or get cut to length from a trustworthy source.

Also, I do NOT recommend getting spokes from Amazon. They have a couple generic brands and I have bought them about 8 times. They are inexpensive and convenient (About $12 bucks USD for 36 spokes and nipples. Arrive in 2 days). I was burnt twice. Once I got a spoke that was 4mm too short and once I got defective nipples that stripped. Never again.

Either get name brand or get cut to length from a trustworthy source.
My local bike shop can source good spokes. Thx for the helpful info.

Latest posts

Back