rear hub trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Excell mark IV, its a Perry brake and a Shimano brake. Ive cleaned and regreased them twice and every time I put them back together and on a bike, the craink turns when I roll the bike forward. This has never happend with any of my Bendix. What am I doing wrong?

I couldn't tell if you're even doing something wrong, but I don't think you should worry.
I'm running an SRAM 3-speed at the moment and when I roll the bike backwards, the crank turns (just like your bike). Before the SRAM, there was a Shimano Nexus 3-speed in my rearwheel and I didn't have that "problem" either.
So unless somebody can prove it's a serious problem, Im not bothered or worried.

Gonzo Adonis said:
I have a Excell mark IV, its a Perry brake and a Shimano brake. Ive cleaned and regreased them twice and every time I put them back together and on a bike, the craink turns when I roll the bike forward. This has never happend with any of my Bendix. What am I doing wrong?

1) Can you stop the crank from "following" with light pressure of your hand or foot while rolling?

2) How far have you ridden since installing the offending hub(s)? Far enough to squeeze and fling excess grease out of the small clearance spaces where it could create a drag?

If the answer to 1 is "yes", I would double check my cone adjustment and use it for a while.

The crank will stop when you put a foot or something on it, and the bike will still roll. Now I cant seem to figure out how tight to tighten it, to tight and the sprocket wont turn, not tight enough and the wheel rattles. I almost want to take this wheel to the outskirts of town and have at it with my shotgun. This is the excell I'm talkin about. Anouther problem is the wheel wants to rub at the top of the frame now. Something is out of whack. I'm thinking I whould wait untill I'm off the pain killers from my surgery.

Apparently it works better if you put it together the right way, or almost right. The crank has a rattle when you let the wheel spin after pedaling. This is with the flipped over. I dont know maybe my cranks not tight enough, I'll check when my little ones are in bed.

Sounds like your chain may be too tight. Let is sag just a bit when you tighten it up and try that. Gary

Latest posts

Back