Rear Rack - it's like a 2 Way Rat Trap!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide any info about this style of rear rack? I'm not a fan of it but hadn't seen one like it. It was on this Monark when I bought it. It has two spring action traps, from opposite directions, springing towards the middle. Very tight springs too. I'd like to think it's American-made but it reminds me of something from the orient. Comments?
MonarkButterflyer004.jpg

MonarkButterflyer003.jpg

MonarkButterflyer025.jpg

MonarkButterflyer023.jpg

At first glance I thought it was the remnants of one of those vintage child carriers folded down but then quickly realized when I tried to pull back the springs that you'd have to be a masochist to put your kid on it!

super 6-pack rack

i'd bet a pound to a penny that rack was built with an old metal lunch box in mind (and of course what ever else will fit)
78460637.jpg

That rack is a generic copy from the 40's or 50's of the racks they used on bikes like the 1933 Schwinn B10...it's an early to mid 30's style before everything got all swoopy and curvy looking in the late 30's. The originals I've seen didn't have the spring things though. It looks right at home on your bike and I wouldn't touch it! Gary

deorman said:
That back tire looks pretty cool! (The whole bike too, of course. :wink: )
Thanks for all the great info guys. I think the back tire is pretty cool too. I added air to it months ago and it still holds pressure. Here's a close up of the label:
MonarkButterflyer033.jpg

MonarkButterflyer011.jpg

Here's what happened to the front tire while I took her out for her maiden voyage! Good thing "top speed" wasn't too fast! I'd say I overinflated it! I discovered, after it blew, that it had water in it and recalled later that I had difficulties with my pressure gauge while filling it up. Man, it sounded like a shotgun going off! I'm not sure if I swerved more from the noise or from the tire blowing up but it was an attention getter! No warning or lump or anything, just Ka-Boom!
MonarkButterflyer017.jpg

ICY- Great idea with the vintage lunch box! You're on to something there with that tip. The spring loaded wires are shaped as if made for that box. Thanks for that info.

I appreciate all the advice guys, and welcome more. Until talking to you guys that rack was gonna be stored away for another project and replaced with something less "erector set" looking. Now I've really got to give it some thought.

I had a tire blow in the middle of the night. And it was in the living room of my then apartment! :shock: I could NOT figure out what happened until I went to ride it and saw the tire! :lol: -Adam

Back