rear triangle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no jig whats so ever but i might have found a way to fab it so it will be straight. i just need to know that if the material i want to use will handle it?

Maybe this will help. To get a good strong weld , you need good fitment.
I think the problem your having is not with the strength of the tubing your
using , more the way your trying to put it together.

This is good fitment. Its called fishmouthing the tubing. You pick your angle and then
make the tube fit exactly to the tube your welding it too. Once welded the two tubes
become one and the strength of the weld is greater than the actual tubing itself.
DSCF0001-197.jpg

This is just stick one tube next to another. Still a good welder can do a pretty good job
and it will be fairly strong.
DSCF0002-166.jpg

This is wrong. You can't touch one end and then glob 2 pounds of weld on that end and
expect it to hold anything. Even filling up the void with a bunch of weld will still make
a weak weld. You can't build tubing out of welder wire. Hope this helps.

DSCF0003-73.jpg

jj256 said:
And this is why I need a notcher
I saw a video where a hole saw was used to make the cut in the tube ends. The tube was held in a jig to get the correct angle needed and then the hole saw in the mill (drill press would also work) was brought down to cut the tube by running the one edge of the hole saw through the end of the tube.

i second the opinions of Luke and draco. Hole saw and a 4 1/2" grinder, a 1/2 round file will be sufficient for making just a few fittings. Take your time and do it right. And finally, yes use a jig for putting the pieces together it can be as simple as a couple of pieces of plywood for the sides and another pieces for the bottom in the center of the plywood would be an axle that is level with the bottom piece of plywood and perpendicular with the side pieces of plywood. Than just make sure that all clearances on one side are on the other. That all of the fishmouth cuts look like what Luke showed in his pics... When all the clearances are good all the joints are tight, Than weld your pieces not before.

Take your time and do it right and it will last, and work as expected, build it quick and cheaply and you could seriously hurt yourself or in the least have to build it all over again...

Rich

Yep tubing notchers are $45 at Harbor Freight . Then another $7 for the hole saw to make them
work. You can do a pretty good job with a 4'' grinder and a flap disk . A file will also do them.
DSCF0004-42.jpg

DSCF0001-135.jpg

Latest posts

Back