rear wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to take your rear wheel and make it move farther back. I have an old Schwinn and I used a 24" rim with a thick brick tire and it still rubs. I want to extend the rear wheel to accomendate the 24 x 3 wheel. Can anyone send me a picture if you have done this. Thanks

What was the original tire size on your Schwinn? You say you used to have a 24" rim with a thick brick tire back there, but still rubs. Do you know anyone with a welder who can cut you out a doner set of rear dropouts and then weld them to your exsisting dropouts, because that is the only was I can see making more clearance in your frame for your tire. It is kinda tricky and you gotta really get a good weld in there and have everything measured up right, but if done right, you can effectivly move your rear wheel back an inch or so, but in doing so will lose the ability to mount caliper brakes on the rear. Note: i'd only have an experienced fabricator try this, or someone with more than their fair share of common sense.

Sorry no pictures. Other than that, you could use your set up on a 26" frame, perhaps. Hope it helps.

It had 26" wheels on it and I changed them to 24". I have to put the wheel all the way back in the dropout and it still rubs. Do you have a picture of a bike that this was done to.

Not mine but this one used drop out plates to gain the required space.

strlnr064.jpg

Latest posts

Back