Rechroming handlebars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all...

Just a quick question: I'm wondering who has had handlebars rechromed, how much it cost, and where's a good place to do it. Did you have to send away or are these places fairly ubiquitous?

fairly ubiquitous ? I knew I should have never dropped out of school :oops:
I have never had bars rechromed but in the past haveing anything rechromed was pricey but the plating shop would give a better price
if you had a bunch of parts done. I would bet you could find a new set of bars cheaper than rechroming unless its rare or you are doing
a high dollar resto its probably not worth it.

i paid $200 to have all the chrome redone on my 67 stingray.
IMG_1642-3.jpg

i opted to replace the bars with new apes. they are identical, and only cost $12 instead of $50 to rechrome them.
i probably could have replaced the fenders crank etc (repop's) for a 1/4 of the cost of rechroming.
:)

Thanks for the replies.....that helps.

I got an estimate from a guy last night that came recommended on another bike forum. He said $80 for the bars....not including stem. :shock:

SO! It looks like I'll be trying to find a new set. I wanted the old ones....but since lots of the chrome is gone, I can't get them shiny again on my own. And this isn't a full-out historically-accurate Schwinn restore either... not even close... so I guess I can tolerate new bars.

Schwinnspastic said:
fairly ubiquitous ? I knew I should have never dropped out of school :oops:

Hehe....it means...."they're everywhere." :)

Fireproof said:
The down side to rechroming is the cost. The upside is that the quality that your local plater will do is FAR, FAR better than you'll find on most economically priced handelbars.

Yeah...I'm sure.

What I'm doing now is eyeing a pair of vintage, nice condition ones on ebay. They'll be made better, and look better on the bike because they're gently worn.

Road-tested, Annika-approved. :mrgreen:

Back