Reclaiming the endangered fleet.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys (gals),
I'm about to lose my "free" storage for ten vintage cruisers currently residing at my aunts house in Indiana. I'm in Arizona! I don't know how to get ten bikes out here, or into another storage, without breaking the bank. I bought some really cool stuff that I'd like to keep.

Anybody got a great idea or two up their sleeve?

Re: Uh oh......

Curtis,

This thread is worthless without pics! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

What kind of cool stuff are we trying to relocate anyway?

May not be the cheapest, but you could try a local moving company and see if they have any trucks heading in your direction that you could hitch a ride aboard and supplant some of the cost.

Joe

My aunt lives just outside of Indy. I think it's Greenfield.
I'll post a couple pics in a few minutes just so you know my pain......

A few pics...... no drooling!
apache1.jpg

evans1.jpg

spaceflite1.jpg

thunderjet1.jpg

I just took a peak at the PODS website. I gave them my info for a "quick" quote. It comes back wanting the telephone number you'll be calling from etc. I gave them the when and where, and my email, I don't like giving out too much. They always sell the info....

Don't use pods they are a rip off! You would be better off shipping them by grey hound in boxes. I have a niece that we were going to send her stuff in a pod to seattle, wa. and they wanted 4200.00. Your best bet is to get ahold of reliable and have them strap the bikes to the inside of their truck. It worth the effort. Good Luck!!

That is alot of bikes. I would be willing to help but that is quite a load. I had an idea though: what if the bikes were broken down into separate boxes by wheels, accessories and frames? It would be 4 or so large boxes that could be shipped via Roadway or Yellow Freight. Might even be best to put them on pallets. Take a look at http://www.yrc.com.

I don't have any way of breaking the bikes down since we're about 1,900 miles apart. My aunt is nearly 70 and my mom who also lives there is pushing 66 herself!
I'll start digging through the shipping companies.....

Wow, that really stinks. I hope you're able to figure something out. And that thunderjet is beautiful!

wow, all of those are really cool bikes!!! i am very sorry to hear about your situation and most of the best ideas have been stated. all i could suggest is maybe if you found a forum member or someone you trust that lives near your auntie's, they could break down the bikes for you and you could pay shipping. i don't know how much money you have to throw at this situation, but what if you took a greyhound out there to break them down and package them to ship back whatver you couldnt bring back on the bus with you back to arizona. wish i could be more help. if you don't have alota money for shipping, you may be forced to sell a few to pay for the rest. good luck!

That is a bad situation I live in northern Indiana but would be willing to help if you need it i can breakdown and pack if you really want. Now if you only get NINE out of TEN check my garage for the other... That would be dishonest. Let me know if you need help. :?

I'm going to try and buy enough time to make it 'til Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to come up with a solution by then. I should have known it wasn't the greatest idea to buy bikes with the intent of bringing them home "some day" while they remained in free storage a couple thousand miles away. But they are cool bikes....... :roll:

If you drive the 1900 miles, making it 3800 round trip, at 25mpg, you are spending about 450 bucks on gas. That's pulling a small trailer with a small car as an example. And it would be 4-6 days.

Boxing up 10 bikes and shipping will probably cost more if you have to travel there to do it.

To sell them and start over would be difficult, not being there to do business. Unless you consigned them to a shop there, if that's even possible. Maybe a big CL sale, but who would do the transactions?

fly/train/bus 1 way down then drive a u-haul or something similar back? you'd only need a smaller trailer. i know it's not ideal, but it doesnt seem like you have much options

Back