Recutting threads..?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a Sturmey-Archer X-rd freewheel model with stripped threads. Unlike the S/A IGH hubs, this one does not have a removable axle. The threads are stripped, somehow-- once it starts to actually tighten down, it pops back a few threads. I've tried new axle nuts, but the threads must be beat, b/c the same thing happens with new nuts.

Should I try to recut the threads on this thing? I am a little bit POed, as I haven't had the wheel too long, and i've never had this problem before. I had been experiencing the same problem on the same hub, but I used a washer to keep the nut back a bit from the damaged threads. I just tore down the bike to relube/repack stuff for the spring, and when I put it back together, the washer isn't helping. Any advice on what to do and which tools to get would be muchly appreciated.

Found this thing, and several others alot like it:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/threadmate-thread-repair-tool-69165.aspx

Thanks!
-rob

If the right new nuts dont fit tight then the messed up threads are on the axle and chasing them will do no good. Are you sure you have the right nuts? Using a 'close' but oversize nut will also do you no good. They need to be a snug fit with no 'wobble' or they are too loose.

gcrank1 said:
If the right new nuts dont fit tight then the messed up threads are on the axle and chasing them will do no good. Are you sure you have the right nuts? Using a 'close' but oversize nut will also do you no good. They need to be a snug fit with no 'wobble' or they are too loose.

Holy crap; you are totally right!!! This is a 9x1mm axle, not a 3/8"x26tpi. amazing that the wrong nut worked for so long!!!

-rob

I found a 9mm open-ended axle nut from an old front hub, and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip, gcrank1!

-rob

You got me just in time...I was about to see what kinda thread files my machinist buddy has, and if that came up dry, I was gonna buy one of those fancy 26tpi cutters!! :shock: I would've spent a pile of cash just to ruin an expensive hub...

Thanks again. Here's to simple solutions!
-rob

Latest posts

Back