Red stripe bendix hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright my Firestone build has hit alittle bit of a snag. The bendix coaster rear is pretty messed. The bearings are either completely packed with crap or they are junk as it doesn't really want to move well at all. The real problem though is that the right side axle? is f'd. The threads are damaged and the rod is bent like someone used a hammer to get it out of the frame at some point? Anyways, would I be better replacing this rear hub or can I rebuild it? Memery Lane sells the bendix red stripe hubs for 50 bucks but I was hoping I could do something cheaper. Any ideas?

Those axels are made out of soft metal. New axels for the Bendix RB are pretty easy to come by. If the axel is damaged to the point that you can't screw the cone or the anchor expander off, secure a new axel the same length and thread as the old one, and hacksaw the ends of the old axel off next to the cones so that you can unscrew the guts off of it and transfer over to the new axel. A vise would be a great help. That will be cheaper than replacing the hub. Thanks!!!

You should be able to get a fully functioning one used for about $10. The sinle speed red-bands aren't very sought after, so it shouldn't be *too* tough to get one.

I have new axles. they are 5.00 bucks. A whole lot cheaper than fifty. Call me at the shop if you want one. 816-254-6855

Back