Redbird Traveler / Blues Traveler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a good 2 1/2 hrs of pedaling paved bike trails and local neighborhoods. Bike feels good, a little heavier than my Cannondale, but they're a over decade apart in age. It's ready for tires but I've yet to make a decision. Now I've been debating on down sizing the rims to 700c, I have rims to test with, just haven't yet. It all depends on if the brakes will reach. As it is I can stand flat footed over the top tube but no way can I bend my knees, if I ever have to bail.... well you know. IT'S TALL! The 700c's may give me a bit more room, and they'll definitely be easier on the uneven pavement than the 27 x 1 1/4's on there now.

Carl.

Last edited:
Finally made it over here.. I always forget about the road bike section.

Love the Traveler...raced mine in the '80s steel rims and all. Time to lace you up some nice alloy rims.

Those bars are cool on there!

It's not the Redbird but it's ridden by a Redbird...
This bike's been in a couple of other threads... 95' Schwinn CrissCross
This is how it looked when my daughter took it down to ISU last year...
It survived barely, at the end of the semester someone must have kicked the derailleur, it was bent up into the gear cluster and needless to say, was ruined...

Now in the midst of a single speed rebuild and paint...

Carl.

I have your bikes sister!
Also from 1981.
I found her moulding away in a garage at one of our properties a few years ago. I recently replaces all the cables and repacked the bearings. Still needs new tape and tires. Otherwise I'm trying to keep it as original as possible.
I really like how she handles, even with a big guy like me on her back.

3197856087214ce7345ed0da16df7af5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like the chrome tipped forks. Mine is TALL though a 23" frame.

Carl.

27" from the center of the BB to the top of the seat post tube.
Or, 36" from the ground to the top bar.... Wow!
Like my plexiglass archbar, stretched handlebars and laidback seat post?
I was going for the boardtracker look... nice and comfy ride still...
BLU%20014.jpg

Carl.

27" from the center of the BB to the top of the seat post tube.
Or, 36" from the ground to the top bar.... Wow!
Like my plexiglass archbar, stretched handlebars and laidback seat post?
I was going for the boardtracker look... nice and comfy ride still...
BLU%20014.jpg

Carl.
How tall is it?

@Grant Dude you quoted my measurements...
It's 27 inches from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post clamp. It is 36 inches from the ground to the top of the top tube. I don't recall if it has 700c rims or 27 1/4" rims, but they're pretty close in size either way.

I do need to take a new picture of it as my youngest boy rides it. Straight bars, silver Electra glitter/gel grips and a normal seat post. The plexi stayed and it now has blue LED lighting around the rims for nite rides...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back