Removing 3 piece crank without a removal tool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was at my LBS asking for a crank removal tool, when I had an idea. They didn't have a removal tool, so I tried this, in the kitchen of course.

1. Loosen the left side cup all the way. This will let the crank pin slide to the left. The sprocket and crank arm will rest up against the frame.
rmtfkn.jpg

2. Loosen the right side crank nut, but only enough to leave most of the threads on the pin, just a couple turns. This keeps the threads good as you hit it with the hammer.

3. Give the pin end a few good whacks with a hammer, using something to go between the hammer and crank pin. A piece of wood dowel would be best, but I used an old ratchet handle to drive the pin loose from the crank arm.
5etunr.jpg

4. Once it comes free, take the nut off completely and wiggle it off the rest of the way.
1zgg9j6.jpg

Now the whole pin can be worked on, and the bearings repacked or replaced. The other crank arm can be removed easily using a vice or something else to hold the arm while you tap the pin out the same way. On this bike I couldn't get the drive side cup off the bottom bracket, but lubed the bearings and slid them on the axle back into place.

This is a subject that has been beat to death (pun intended). Check the archives.
First get the tool, they are not expensive.
Second get a new LBS, they lack professionalism if they do not have this tool.

The tool would be easier, and you won't risk damaging the threads. The bike shop had the tool, just wouldn't let me use it, and I didn't want to haul the Beast down there and pay to have it removed.

For a case like this;

The bike shop had the tool, just wouldn't let me use it

Then do this;

get a new LBS, they lack professionalism

Please purchase the tool, much less chance of damaging things. Okay, now that I said that, good thinking. I would not do that very often but if you have no other choice and need to get it out now, it looks like a good alternative.

Latest posts

Back