Removing clear coat from chrome Spaceliner?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elbow grease!...... haha.... tried everything, and the chemicals were just to nasty to deal with, fine steel wool and some goof-off, Windex,....just work a little section at a time, eventually you'll have it cleaned off....

Try a brass wire wheel on an electric drill. Be sure to wear safety goggles! I did my Flightliner frame a few years ago, still took a long time! -Adam

On mine the clear was flaky in a few areas so I scraped it all off with a razor blade, then just kept going over the whole frame. This semed to work the fastest and didn't hurt the chrome at all. Then spent more time on the rusty spots with steel wool (seat tube etc. )

Ask your local bike shop to get you some Park Tool"Chain Bright" citrus chain cleaner.It will work absolute wonders with a scotch brite to remove it and buff it out how you see fit(sometimes you don't even need the scotch brite,a rag works well too).It also works to get other paint and rust off of things.I have been doing it for years and swear by it.
-Kreep-

I just picked this up today at Auto Zone (Menards sells it too) $11 for the can

Sprayed it on a test spot for 15 minutes, pretty much just wiped off, I did use my nail to dig in the rag a bit. Gonna finish it up tomorrow and I'll post results

2012-08-06200813.jpg

cheap horror fright hand held blaster filled with baking soda(youll need alot but its fairly fast,albeit very messy! although cleaning the soda up is easy just hose it down with water.)
it wont damage the chrome either itll just take the clear off.

Back