Removing Decals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm building up a bike for my nephew for his birthday in April. I want to order a new set of personalized decals for the bike but first I need to take off the original decals on the bike without scratching up the paint. I've heard of using a hairdryer to heat up the glue? Any help would be great

Usually a hairdryer will work. It the bike is more than a few years old you may need more heat. A heat gun or quick passes with a propane torch should do the job. Once the decals are off use WD-40, Goof-Off, or Goo Gone to remove the leftover adhesive residue.

udallcustombikes said:
Usually a hairdryer will work. It the bike is more than a few years old you may need more heat. A heat gun or quick passes with a propane torch should do the job. Once the decals are off use WD-40, Goof-Off, or Goo Gone to remove the leftover adhesive residue.

Ronson Lighter Fluid also works GREAT for removing the adhesive residue! I used it all the time when I was in the sign biz. Won't hurt the paint & you don't end up with an oily residue left over.

Hairdryer experience tip. Start by heating the whole area until you can lift one corner of the decal,then aim the heat under the raised portion.Best to grip the decal with pliers because of the heat,and pull very gently.

Is see now why your avitar and handle........ :shock:
Odorless mineral spirits (paint thinner) is easy to live with and much less danderous; its nice not to have the stink. I find that gas absorbs into my skin and stinks me up for the day and acetone is fast, but harsh (read the warnings). When using petrochemicals its a good idea to at least slip a breadbag over your hand (though acetone might melt it!), easy on, easy off, but chem. resistant gloves are best. I have some dermititis from getting overloaded with petrochemicals; it can catch up with you over time, and like so many things, aint fun.
My standard for removing labels and stickon decals is the hairdryer and WD-40 floats the slime off great as long as you arent going to paint.

Latest posts

Back