Removing Master Link on a Skip Tooth Chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have about 2 hours into trying to remove the master link on a skip tooth chain.....what is the secret?

Twist the chain a bit towards the removable face plate, and it should release. Might need to pry it off.

I have about 2 hours into trying to remove the master link on a skip tooth chain.....what is the secret?
amazon sells a chain link removing tool for multiple chain sizes, I have one and it works very nice on skip tooth chains. (Koch 7725010 Roller Chain Breaker, #25 to #60)

Last edited:
That worked Mazdaflyer...Thanks...only to find out I am about 3 inches to short to link them together. This sucks....I have purchased 5 chains and none of them are the right length. 2 of the ones I purchased I soaked in a vinegar bath and they just fell apart! :headbang:

That worked Mazdaflyer...Thanks...only to find out I am about 3 inches to short to link them together. This sucks....I have purchased 5 chains and none of them are the right length. 2 of the ones I purchased I soaked in a vinegar bath and they just fell apart! :headbang:
You can lengthen the chain by adding the extra links and another master link. I have pushed pins out with a regular chain tool. The ones I've tried to clean up I used degreaser or PB Blaster.

Last edited:
Thanks so very much! I am actually going to take the 2 bikes into a shop tomorrow.....I fear if I keep messing with it I am going to break something! :113:

Back