Removing Spray Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK,
I've read and read and searched and searched the forums. I DON'T want to harm the original paint under the cruddy spray bomb paint job. It seems the consensus is to use original full flavor Easy-Off. I've got a can of the nasty stuff. I dont want to mess around with anything as costic as the aircraft paint removal stuff because I want to live to see next week. So, I've yanked the chain guard off as an experimental piece and I plan on spraying it down, sticking it in a plastic bag, and setting it in the sun. Do any of you all have a timeframe for this? Will it look like the paint stripper used on wood (bubbling etc)? Anyway, any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.

I have used oven cleaner. The length of time depends on the spray paint. I would let it sit for anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour. Then wipe off with a very wet rat.

cman said:
I have used oven cleaner. The length of time depends on the spray paint. I would let it sit for anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour. Then wipe off with a very wet rat.
Thank you sir. I"m thinking the person didn't have much of a clue as I can still see the "Hornet" decal on the chain guard, so it's a light coat.

Aren't Schwinn chainguard decals notorious for coming off easily? If I'm correct, you're Easy Off will probably remove the spray paint, and the "Hornet" lettering.

Just an update (I know, I know... I owe you all some photos - guilty as charged). I used the Easy-Off and had GREAT results. It was incredibly cool to see the old paint coming back through - like travelling back in time but without the DeLorean (rim shot). Seriously - the stuff worked like a charm, but the paint wasn't exactly what you'd call stellar and was heavily chipped. I had one side done (and this works VERY fast) and after I sprayed the other side, my kids called me to do something. When I came back about 20 min later it had eaten through the original paint too!!! It left me a pristine steel frame which will be GREAT for when I repaint it. I didn't expect miracles and the positive I can take away from this is I dont have to pay some yahoo $$ to sandblast it for me!!! I was able to salvage the original Hornet decal on the chain guard, so that was pretty cool - but since I plan on doing a repaint - I'm just going to redo the decal anyway so it all looks uniform. BEWARE OF ONE OTHER THING!!! I sprayed this stuff on the S-2 rims and it just about took the black pin striping all the way off (yeah, they decided it'd be cool to also repaint the rims - YUCK), so there's that. Still looking forward to restoring the whole thing and I've already found that dissassemby is going to be a treat LOL.

thanks again for the insight with everything - the adventure continues!!!

Easy Off - check
Plastic sheeting - check
Very Wet RAT - Now where did I put that?

Easy Off - check
Plastic sheeting - check
Very Wet RAT - Now where did I put that?
The new Easy Off doesn't seem to work like the old stuff did on removing paint. I don't know if the OP is using some of the old stuff or not. He says, "I've got a can of the nasty stuff." so I think it must be the original formula.

I always had luck with old spray paint by taking linseed oil and soaking it on it and waiting a couple of days and go over it with a sos pad and most of the times it comes right off and leaves the bottom(original) paint alone.Than I let it dry and than go over with that with linseed oil and make sure its a hot sunny day leave it out to smooth out and make a clear finish that also helps with keeping the old paint for getting any worse.

I have used GOOD QUALITY purple power cleaner. I used to collect Tonka toys and someone had spray painted and nearly ruined an older truck. The pp with a soft bristle brush took the spray paint off leaving the origonal just fine.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

A warning on linseed oil. Rags left in a pile that are soaked or wet with linseed oil will combust, and start a fire. A friend of mine burned his shop down that way. Be careful! Regards

Back